rate mainly because I am interested in shooting with her and perhaps learning a

few new tricks. However, I am a skilled professional and now I feel that I am

getting stiffed. I don't want to lose the job...I still would like to work with

her but I am not very comfortable with being underpaid. Should I renegotiate

price with her based upon our previous understanding or should I suck it up

this time because I don't want to lose the job and the opportunity to work with

someone new?

(ps..been shooting weddings as assistant, second and lead for 2 years - not a

newbie, but haven't quite quit my dayjob yet)

If she didn't know you lowered your hourly rate based on the expected 5 hour job, I'd say it is up to you. Tell her what you did and see if she agrees to pay your regular rate, or, if the opportunity to work with her weighs more on the scale than the money, do it. If not, don't. If she did know you lowered your rate, then I'd ask her whether this now means she will pay your regular rate. If not, see above.

Unless you are giving up an opportunity to make more at another job, maybe the experience is worth the cut in pay. Will you learn anything that will make you a better photographer? I recently flew to Indiana from Colorado at my own expense, shot the bride going to the hair salon, beauty parlor, getting prepared and then shot the wedding and reception as a gift for friends just to practice my skills.

Joe

Your agreement with the primary photographer was for five hours at the assigned rate. She's essentially canceled the verbal contract so you are under no obligation to do the job at the lower rate.

Your fixed costs (car expenses plus driving time) don't change. So it would be fair to negotiate upward. Maybe a split between the discount rate and the regular rate would be fair?

I would assume she already had a contract with the bride and perhaps even has collected full-payment. It sounds unreasonable that she should change the terms so close to the event. Is there any risk of her changing the terms again after you arrive at the event?

And on what basis did she contact you for the original job? If she has to have a second shooter, you certainly have some leverage at this late date.

The old trick, "How much would that cost if I buy a million? Ok, I will take one for now" Quote your 3 hour price, if you get dumped, you will still be "learning a few new tricks". You also need to learn to value your time or no one else will.

Good Luck.

Only you can answer this question.

I figured my cost as a second shooter was close to $100 before I ever pressed the shutter. Depending on your equipment this could be less or more after paying taxes on the money.

I wouldn't wear out my equipment, work your butt off, travel to and from home in such a scenario,

What does your contract with her say? If your answer is you have no contract,,, I would suggest you don't work ever without one, starting with this one. Politely decline.

As to costs... PPA offers some great biz courses that will help you learn costs are WAYYYY more than your equipment and time, insurance, lisc's ongoing training, upgrading computers, braces for kids you never see, alimony for working weekends, corvettes to snag the next alimony collector, in other words, if you give up your weekends, if you put your house and future at risk, if you give your all to someone, figure the actual cost so you know what you must charge to STAY in business, that way your kids will prob want to work in it seeing how successful you are, and your CLIENTS will be able to access their images thru the years, as family members pass, you will have the only decent images taken of them, and be able to provide them a most valuable service for life.

Thank you all for your advice. Nadine, I put yours into practice and asked if she would be paying me at my regular rate since we were no longer working for the agreed amount of time. She responded with...oh yeah, I remember you saying you had a five hour minimum! She agreed to the rate I proposed. I feel much better about it and I feel I have learned a bit about holding my ground to get paid what I'm worth. Thanks for the support! I will also look into the PPA business courses...sounds like good information.

You would be amazed by how LITTLE some photographers pay second shooters. One of the top wedding photographers in Texas only pays her second shooters $15/hour and she rounds down to the 1/4 of a hour. I don't think shooters tend to stay with her long.