location shoot in desert

photo_girl1

just been on some test shots for a location shoot i need to do for clients in a desert. its a portrait image

for a family of 6. the location of the shoot has been agreed on, so i went out today with my assistant to

do some trial tests with my flash (Elinchrom Ranger pack) to give a bit of fill flash as the sun is casting

harsh shadows on the face. we encountered a lot of strong winds... and the large softbox i had intended

on using kept getting blown off. what other alternatives can i use, since softbox is getting filled up with

wind and blown off? i only have small reflector dishes... will those work? im worried that keeping the

flash tube exposed with only a dish will get affected from the sand./wind etc... or will it be ok? also, will

need to put together a few sandbags to hold the camera on a tripod in place as well as the light. how are

those normally set up? never had to do such a set up.

plan on taking wiht me some large garbage bags , filling them in with sand, rocks etc once out there... do

i need to rest each bag against each leg of tripod, or somehow attach it thru the centre and just let it rest

on the floor?

thoughts please.

Here's a sample sandbag from Avenger. It's similar to saddlebags in that it's really two bags attached together with a strap handle. You can drape it over the legs of a light stand or use the strap to fasten it to the light stand just above the legs. Again, the important thing it to have all of the weight on the stand, not on the floor.

Most trash bags won't be strong enough to support 35 or 40 lbs and they'll be hard to attach to the stands. If you don't want to buy the real thing, you might be able to use small duffel bags filled with sand if they have strap handles which can be attached to the light stands.<div>00MRmf-38319384.jpg.ddc4322e233dabf3e259d5af347da3f2.jpg</div>

thank you brooks, but im in the middle east now and now where to buy the proper sandbags

from, so i need to improvise. so sorry to bother you, but i still cant work out where you

mean the sandbag should go...... if you can bring in an image of a tripod and highlight the

area or something via photoshop that would be great.......

so the bag should just hang down your'e saying?

..."im in the middle east now and now where to buy the proper sandbags from..."

That's why I suggested using duffelbags that have handles.

...."i still cant work out where you mean the sandbag should go......"

As I said just a few moments ago, attach the sandbag to the light stand just above the legs.

..."so the bag should just hang down your'e saying? ...."

All of the weight should hang from the stand and not touch the ground.

Google light stands, sandbags, Avenger, Matthews etc. I came up with the image of the Avenger sandbag in 5 seconds just by googling "photo sandbag"...........

If YOU'd like to photograph one of your lightstands or find an image of a light stand and post it here I'll highlight the area that I'm talking about.