Using D300 RAW images in Bridge, Camera Raw and Photoshop CS2

vicky_leon

Hi,

I've just taken a few test shots with my new D300. I have transfered them to my

computer but am unable to open them in Bridge, Camera RAW or Photoshop CS2.

Am I doing something wrong? It keeps saying "could not complete request because

it is not the right kind of document".

Help!

Vicky

You do not 'need' to upgrade PS; just download the FREE adobe DNG converter and use that to convert the NEF files to DNG - they will then open in CS2/Bridge. http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/

To download you will need to download the combined ACR 4.3 + DNG package - but do not install the ACR plug-in (that is the CS3 version) - just retain the DNG converter which will work with ACR versions 2.3 or higher, which you should already have installed.

How many raw conversions are you going to do?

My first suggestion would be to download Nikon Capture NX from the Nikon support site, and register it using the code that came with your D300. The user interface is really horrid, the workflow awful, but the raw conversions are superior to CS2 with ACR3 (based on my experiences with D2X and D200 files) and to CS3 with ACR4 (based on my experiences with D2X, D3, and D300 files).

If you want to see bad looking raw conversion, just go ahead and try the DuNG converter. It doesn't tell CS2/ACR3 what it needs to know to do a decent job on a D300 file, and D3 files go totally south.

I have to counter the criticisms of Capture NX having either a bad interface or being slow.

Its interface is DIFFERENT that many are used to, but it is actually quite intuitive once you

get used to it. No, it isn't Photoshop, but it isn't trying to be. NX is simply the best way to

develop RAW images from a Nikon. Period. Photoshop is an entirely different animal.

So, for me, it is Shoot in RAW, process in NX, save and save a copy as a HQ jpeg to make

final tweaks in Photoshop, print. If I was doing a lot of "Photoshopping" this would not be

my flow, but for someone who simply wants to process photographs, I think it is best.

Finally, I have no idea about the relative speed of NX to CS2 or CS3 on a PC or Mac, but NX

on my Mac compared to CS (I never bothered to upgrade since I don't use it much, see

above) flies. This is especially true of batch processing.

• 3 weeks later...

I hope this helps, I was having the same problem with my 40D, DNG converter, and

photoshop CS2. I finally downloaded the CS3 version DNG converter and had no problems.

All the converted files work with CS2 Bridge, Photoshop and the photoshop raw image

editor!!