North Carolina -- how is the wed. photo. market?

german

Hi,

I am looking into Charlotte, North Carolina and would like to know any

information about the wedding photography business in the area.

I understand it can get quite busy, that people usually photograph in

Wilmington, by the beach, that Raleigh may be a good town in which to do this

type of photography, but that's all I know.

If you don't mind, I'd really appreciate it if you could tell me what religious

denominations do most weddings fall into, are there many non-denominational

weddings, what seems to be the average for wedding packages, what do brides

want, etc?

Thanks,

German S.

PS. Of course I am checking into wedding photographers in the area myself, but

I would really appreciate your input as well.

people get married everywhere - the wedding photography business is the most consistent where ever you locate to - it helps if the Sunday paper has a bridal section and a place for vendors to advertise - also keep a nice listing in the "Events" section under "Services" in the Charlotte - Craigslist - http://charlotte.craigslist.org/evs/ - and keep a nice simple webpage with good samples - lots of business cards in your pocket to the bridesmaids and anyone else who asks - you'll fill your booking dates

Well here in Charlotte, it is considered the Bible belt. There are many churches around...mainly Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian. Whever you go you will always find work. We aren't far from the beach, so you could still have a good chance of getting beach weddings booked (alot of people here go to the beach just for pictures). Best of luck where ever you choose to go.

Hey, thanks Jack and Jennifer.

Jack, as I found out, the wedding business may be quite different from one state to the other. (Try Los Angeles, California to anywhere in Utah, for example.) Thanks for the link though!

Jennifer, I did read there are 500+ Protestant churches versus 17 Catholic ones there in Charlotte. I would have to see what the religious preference is in California to compare it. (I was used to Catholic, Jewish and non-denominational weddings over there.)

What is the difference between a Protestant (Baptist, Methodist and/or Presbyterian) wedding and a Catholic one, if you could tell me?

Are the churches simpler, or are they just as elaborate? (And I am talking about older, traditional Catholic churches here, not the newer, gym-like churches we see nowadays.) Are the ceremonies similar? Do they allow you in the church while the ceremony takes place? (Mormon churches don't.)

Please let me know.

Best,

G.

Silva- When I started shooting wedding in Houston in the mid 70s the local Catholic Arch Diocese didn't care what we did when we took pics during a high mass. We were allowed to wander all around the alter and take whatever flash pics we wanted. Then the Dioceses got a new Bishop (fuhrer ;-) and he didn't want us to take any pics during the mass at all- even from a tripod at the back of the church.

The prior bishop wanted the couple to have all the beautiful pics that we could take to remind them of how much they were in love- when the trouble times came- wave their wedding album in their nose when they were fighting.

The new bishop decided that we- the photographers were commercial whores profiteering off of the sanctity of the holy sacrament- take pics before and after the mass- but we were "BAD" people - go figure?

In Houston all protestant weddings have always been the same- any flash pics- posed or candid up till the bride walks down the isle (last flash pic- back of her dress as all the guests look at her) then tripod time exposure during the ceremony - then flash pic of the kiss at the alter and coming back down the isle. I shoot Catholic weddings this way as well ;-)

works in the bible belt....

German,

Protestant(Baptist, Methodist and/or Presbyterian) service's can vary, depending on each persons wishes. For example, there can be any combination of a prayer bench, unity candle, communion, special music, special vows and many other things. They last anywhere from 15 minutes to possibly over an hour. They can be outside in a park or in the mounatins, as well as in the church, court house, or even at/in someone's home. The attire can also vary, unlike a Cahtolic service. Also the way the Bride enters. She can enter on a horse, in a carriage or many other ways.

Catholic services last an hour, and that's it. Nothing under or over. In a Catholic service everyone is invited to join in communion (which can take a while). It seems to me that a Catholic service does not encourage self expression during any part. Protestant (Baptist, Methodist and/or Presbyterian) services are less laid back. A Catholic Bride would not come to the ceremony on a horse, etc.

I hope that helps. (To everyone else: I also hope that I have not given any wrong information and if i did, I am sorry.) if you need any more help please don't hesitate to ask.

<p>Jennifer Brown writes:</p>

<blockquote>Catholic services last an hour, and that's it. Nothing under or over. In a Catholic service everyone is invited to join in communion (which can take a while). It seems to me that a Catholic service does not encourage self expression during any part....</blockquote>

<p>Couple technical corrections here. A Catholic wedding involves a special rite of the Mass, in other words, it's basically the same ritual that we Catholics attend every Sunday, <i>plus</i> the wedding part, which comes about half way through. The length of Mass varies, depending mainly on the amount of music used and the length of the sermon, but there is also an indefinite "pace" factor (some priests walk up the aisle from the back of the church and take their time doing so, some come in from behind the altar, some priests speak slowly, etc.). Anyway, my experience as a practicing Catholic attending Mass all over the country during the last thirty years is that Mass typically runs between 50 and 65 minutes. And a wedding Mass is typically about 10 minutes longer. I'm doing a Catholic wedding in October. Mass will start at 3, and the priest assures me he'll be done by 4:15. I think that sounds about right.</p>

<p>As for Communion, it is <i>not</i> orthodox Catholic practice to invite everyone to receive Communion. The official position of the Church is actually stated in the back of most missalettes found in the pews of Catholic churches, and putting it in a nutshell, it is that only practicing Catholics who are not conscious of the guilt of mortal (serious) sin may receive Communion. In other words, if it is a "mixed marriage," the non-Catholic family is not supposed to receive Communion. By "receive Communion," I mean eat the consecrated host (bread) and in some churches, drink the wine.</p>

<p>Some Catholic priests on their own initiative do break this rule. And what Jennifer may be thinking of is something else, namely, the practice, in some parishes in the US, of non-communicants walking up to the priest during the distribution of the Eucharist with their hands crossed over their chests, to indicate that they are not taking Communion; the priest will give them a quick blessing instead. But this is a novelty, and is frowned upon especially in larger parishes as it slows down the distribution of Communion.</p>

<p>Hope this helps. I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming!</p>

Hey William, thanks for the response. And thanks everyone.

Now, I know I mentioned I wanted to learn some differences, but not minute by minute descriptions! :) I am sorry if I was not clear. Thanks anyway though!

It would be awesome to get some business perspective on wedding photography in North Carolina, if someone can contribute a little bit more on that.

Thanks again,

G.

I live in Charlotte and shoot a few weddings here or there. What I can tell you about Charlotte is that it is a very transient city. You hardly ever meet anyone who is actually from Charlotte. Lots of people coming in from the north. I think that is a good thing if you are into wedding photography. There is always a wave of newcomers (mostly young) who will need a wedding photographer eventually. Many of these newcomers are from the north and can afford to pay for big weddings. Weddings are a big business around here in my opinion. The downside is that there is a great deal of competition for this business and there are some really great photographers around here.

As for denominations, most of what you will see are Baptist, Presbyterian, and Methodist. The average ceremony last around 30-minutes. No flash photography allowed during the ceremonies. Maybe there will be one song, possibly a couple of readings, and the lighting of a unity candle. I have shot a number of non-denominational weddings as well, but few in comparison to actual church weddings.

The brides (and there mothers) usually want more traditional wedding photography. Photojournalism has its niche, but it seems that most brides I encounter do not want that style. At best, some brides might be O.K. with a little photojounalism entering into the mix. Some brides give full control to the photographer, but many have there own ideas about what shots they want. Some will spend a good deal of time combing through bridal magazines remembering shots that they like.

Pricing is too hard to nail down. I guess it would depend on your market, skills, etc. There are some budget oriented photographers around here, but you get what you pay for. Hope this helps.