Vacum Film Insert MFB-1B

sourdoughsteve

I bought a Contax 645 AF recently and have discovered that film flatness at the film plane is somewhat of

an issue. I understand that the MFB-1B insert addresses this problem. Are my assumptions correct that

this insert will be hard to find? Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to purchase this item?

Steve--

I just picked up a Contax 645 as well, and love it. I was wondering about the vacuum back,

too, but I don't see any edge softness with 120 film and I have not tried 220 in the

standard back. What film type are you using?

As with many Contax 645 accessories, they are getting to be like hen's teeth. The vacuum

inserts, when they come up on ebay, seem to go between $500 and $600. That's why I'm

pleased 120 film seems to be fine and flat!

Hi Steve,

I am using a CONTAX 645 AF for years. The film flatness problem is more or less a rumor. If you insert the normal film holder properly into the magazine, then you must watch out and press with two fingers that the two stick looks left and right, snap-in properly into the two adjustment holes. That's it!

The vacuum magazine is for 220 film only!

Cheers

Hello Wolf!

The flatness problem is anything but a rumor, especially when the film lasts a little longer in the insert. I've taken two identical shots with a 2.8/45 focussed to infinity, on the tripod with mirror lock up, film type 120. On the second shot you can see a real difference in sharpness but only in the upper central part of the slide (about a third). This is exactly the part of the film which was a long time bended over the guide roller of the insert.

Since that time I'm using the vacuum insert and film type 220 whenever possible. But in my experience the usage of film type 220 instead of 120 is more effective than the usage of type 220 in the vacuum insert vs. type 220 in the standard insert.

Uli

Steve,

I'm not aware of film flatness problems. I've used my Contax 645 for over 8 years with both the regular and vacuum backs.

What sort of results are you experiencing? You may have to search Ebay for a vacuum insert at this stage.

I regularily shoot 220 stock for the convenience of 32 exposures.

First thanks for all the feedback on the Contax vacum insert. To clarify my situation let me

state that I have just recently received a 645 AF used, and it appears to be in excellent

shape. I have not fired one shot yet. I only received a 120 & 220 order of film yesterday. I

haven`t even loaded a roll. Included with the original owners manual and seperate from

the actual booklet is a one page notice from Contax discussing film flatness. Maybe some

of you have seen this same " headsup " notice. I won`t copy this in it`s intirety but here

are three sentences I find somewhat troubling. #1 Due to the construction of the film , we

recommend using 220 film if you require extreme flatness when taking pictures. #2 Please

note that when using 120 film, we suggest waiting approx. 3 sec. after first winding, until

the flatness of the backing paper becomes stable. #3 Furthermore, we recommend using

the 220 Vacum Film Insert for photography which requires high- precision film flatness.

I`m a little dismayed by this whole issue . Excellent Camera Body constuction, superb lens

line - up, but a two - bit film flatness issue. It makes me wonder. Again thanks for all the

input. Steve

• 3 weeks later...