D70s died. Need advice. Repair or new camera?

lahuasteca

My D70s died, 15 months old, out of warranty, but less than 1,000 actuations. It is recording images to

the CF card, but they are pitch black. Already talked to Nikon, they walked me through a reset - I have to

send it in. It's going to cost, lots I imagine.

Here's the quandary - spend $200-300 on repairs, or use the money for a new one (D200 or D300)?

Would KEH give me anything on a trade?

Whatever I buy will have to be weather-sealed. I'm sure it's the heat/humidty of the South Texas Gulf

Coast and my forays into the cloudforests of Mexico that have done it in. It was never in rain, but often in

areas with lots of mist/humidity/clouds.

I would write a polite letter to Nikon expressing deep disappointment over one of their fine products that uncharacteristically died with less than 1000 actuations. You had purchased a Nikon because you felt this meant acquiring the best in photographic quality, so you are both concerned and anxious to see how they can explain and remedy the situation.

<I>Whatever I buy will have to be weather-sealed. I'm sure it's the heat/humidty of the South Texas Gulf Coast and my forays into the cloudforests of Mexico that have done it in.</I>

<P>

If you are sure about that and will continue to use your DSRL under those same conditions, don't you think your D70s will develop the same problems again? That doesn't seem like a good way to spend $300, but you need to be sure about it.

Difficult for me to judge value since I'm not in US, but I would send it in for a propper quote, following Bill's advice re the letter, and see what Nikon come back with.

If the repair quote is approaching or more than the ebay resale value, I would then put the money towards a new camera.

PS. If they are going to send you a new D70s, ask if they can put that as credit toward a new (or factory demo) D200. In other words, I would try to parlay this into a newer camera than a D70s. A D80 is nice, but not weather sealed like the D200 is.

I had bought a used OM4T that had apparently taken a large fall in its previous life while on a tripod, cracking the chassis on the inside in a critical spot. Upon surmising this, the nice people at Olympus took pity on me and offered me a great deal on a factory demo, reconditioned OM4T that I used happily for 11 more years... Then I sold it on Ebay for about what I had paid Olympus for it.

The point is, Nikon is a class act, and a D70 going bad under 1000 shots is clearly unusual and may lead them to go out of their way to help you.

Gene try Havel Camera Repair first in San Antonio to see if they can do it more reasonably. I use them all the time. They are located off of Basse Street, and are a Nikon authorized repair. Definately not worth more than 300 to repair

D200 if you are in a hurry or want to save a few hundred dollars; D300 if you can wait and can afford to spend more.

Honestly though, considering how little use you got from the camera; it's a toss-up between purchasing a film SLR or another used D70. If you do go for a more expensive DSLR, you should probably send it in to Nikon Service once a year or so for maintenance servicing, and that's going to cost you nearly as much as replacing or repairing a cheaper DSLR.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the response. John, I called Havel, was ready to drive up there, but when I

described the problem to them, they suggested I send it to Nikon. Anthony, I had been

mainly a slide person, thus the little use, but this past summer I really started to like the

D70s. I'm sending it back to Nikon tomorrow with a letter, hopefully, I'll get some

compensation. Yes, $300 is the break-point. If it's more than that, I'll try and find a

D200.

Personally I felt the D70s was an optimum combo in terms of size/build for backpacking

type of photography, a digital counterpart to my venerable FE2, which is still ticking.

I already seeing some pretty good prices on D200s it might be worth the wait. I actually saw it somewhere for 799.00, don't know if it was a refurb or what. I own the D200 and can say the weather sealing does help with the high humidity of the gulf coast. Used mine on vacation in Florida.