Flash Sync Speed Question

dannish_effendi

Hi,

Just a quick question.

When using flash indoors (SB800 on a D200) I am finding that my flash isnt

illuminating my scene (group photographs) as well as i expect.

My setting on the D200 are 1/60 and f4 and my flash sync is set to the standard

1/250 on the camera....to get better illumination should i change my flash sync

speed....

i have compared my photos with a friend who is using the exact same equipment

and we have used like for like setting based on the exif data of his photos but

my shots seem to be not very well lit in comparison.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks.

I don't think the shutter speed of the D200 is your problem. Duration of the flash is considerably faster than 1/250 second and if you have an even exposure across the entire frame shutter speed is not the problem. A slower shutter speed will allow more exposure from ambient light and it's possible this could be a factor.

I would check to make sure that flash compensation is not set to reduce exposure from the flash on either the D200 or the SB800 or both.

If you both have the exact same equipment, swap flashes between the cameras to see if you get an improvement. If no improvement, swap lens to see if that might be the problem. You should be able to isolate the problem taking this approach.

The D200 will only give you +1 flash compensation. The max flash sync is 1/250. Reducing it will only allow more ambient light into the shot.

Using like settings meaning same iso and your flashes are pointed in the same direction? Is he getting consistantly brighter pictures throughout the life of the batteries? As the batteries drain, there will be less output. Check your Exposure Compensation as well (that's the button +/- next to the shutter release). You're comparison is looking at the same series of photos downloaded on the same computer and not through the LCD, I take it. ;)

Somehow, I don't think your settings are as alike as you may believe.

You mentioned same equipment, but how about all of your settings (ie. ISO)? Also, what was the state of your batteries? I've shot side by side with a friend and got better flash results on one occasion. After troubleshooting the situation turns out his batteries were suspect.

Unless you are having your groups run around while shooting them, just drop your shutter

speed. If you increased the ISO to far, you also gain noise along with increasing the

exposure.

With indoor situations at the alter, ambient light is often in short supply, and using f/5.6

@ 1/250th just about eliminates it as a factor in many cases. If shooting hand held, use a

shutter speed the equivlant of the focal length you are shooting with (or a bit faster if you

don't have a steady hand) ... then let the flash make up the difference. If using a diffuser

or in badly backlit situations, you can comp the flash to the plus side. I'm surprised the

D-200 only allows +1 comp ... I'd double check that. If that's true, then check the flash

itself for it's compensation range. Bet it's +3 stops.

Yes you can do more compensation but that may or may not improve the quality of the result.

I use the 800 at neutral for most indoor group shots and make sure that I have sufficent ISO speed to allow for a nice balance between the ambient and the flash.

A lot of the bad group shots I see are clearly not factoring in the nice even light that exists and trying to blast the group with flash rather than adding a bit of sparkle with the flash.

400 or 800 is no problem for the D-200 you will have a nice juicy capture to work with and no noise.

Another question is where is the flash? Are you using it on the camera or on a bracket moving to a bracket will greatly enhance the affect of the flash. BUT you must have the correct cord or your results will not be predictable.

One of the best aspects of the Nikon system is if you use it properly you are going to get good, consistent capture. I suggest that you work with some of the programmed flash settings and see what the camera tells you works and then modify from there. Your very wide apeture may be part of your problem.

Brooke

Be sure you are not using TTL-BL and that you have no minus compensation set by mistake. I don't understand what you mean when you say your flash sync is set to the standard 1/250th. Either the shutter speed is 1/60th, as you state, or 1/250th. Which is it? Are you referring to high speed sync? In any case, flash sync speed is not a factor in getting better/more flash illumination. And a diffuser does not hinder the flash from providing proper illumination if you are using i-TTL. Either the flash has enough power with the diffuser on (reduces flash's reach) to provide correct illumination or it doesn't.

Dannish - I have the same stuff - try 1/40th and 3.5 use f4 if a more than 4 people in the pic (front to back) ISO 400 - bounce the flash. Now to slap you around a little. The flash sync speed is the maximum on the menu not the 1/60th you put in. You should know this and need to learn how to operate your camera, your question indicates a real lack of the fundementals of photography, so get some books, learn from a pro etc.

I've had the D200 for a while but primary use the Fuji S3 mostly and just recently acquired the S5 which is technically the D200 in disguise. The D200 was used by the second shooter and I've only gotten a chance to use it this past weekend on a wedding doing a little experiment. I was trying to check out the wireless capability of the 3 SB-800 that I have. Interestingly enough, the SB-800 sitting on the Fuji can not be used as a master? I'm thinking it should be able to go up to +3 when it can go down to -3. I've only started to read up on the manual. I'll have it lick. I hope.

Yeah, 1/60 @ f4 and a flash sync of 1/250, doesn't make sense. It's either going to be 1/60 or 1/250. And using the diffuser shouldn't give you that much light lost.