Retrieving space on an external LaCie hard drive

I have an external hard drive LaCie Pocket HD 40GB which almost run over with

images: "54,3 MB free" is the clear message. I thought I would throw away some

of the oldest files (about 10 GB worth) and therefore pulled them over to the

trash (Mac). They disappeared visually from the external hard drive, but this is

apparently still full as when I am trying to load it with new files I get the

message that there is not enough space. What am I doing wrong?

I'm no expert but here are a few thoughts.

Firstly have you checked the free space in Disc Utility (Applications - Utilities - Disc Utility) if you highlight the disc on the left, it will show the usage at the bottom of the page ie total capacity/used/free. Is it still showing the disc as full?

I presume you have checked that the files have actually gone from the Trash folder (the LaCie drive needs to be up and running when you check)? - It's possible that the Trash has not emptied fully.

If you have Tech Tool Pro4, you could try 'Wipe Data' under the tools menu - this has options to wipe either named Files, Folders or the whole Volume. (I've never tried this though).

If all else fails, you could copy/backup the 30GB of files you want to keep to another drive (if you have room) or to DVDs - you could then wipe/format the LaCie, before transferring the files back.

I'm guessing you've already tried turning it off and disconnecting it from the computer and then rebooting it. This has happend to me before and this did the trick. Also, someone wiser than me told me it's not the best idea to max out your external HD to the final mb. He said it's good practice to stop filling it when you get above 90% full. I can't confirm it, but the guys a tech wizard and memory is cheap. Better safe than sorry. Best of luck.

Dana

Thank you all for contributing. We?re getting there. I think the trick is to empty the trash when the external hard drive is active on the machine. I suppose I emptied it when the external was safely packed away in a drawer... And Dana, yes, memory is cheap, so I?ll do my best to remember all I learned today. Jon/www.sensual-photos.com