Sinar board to 4x5 field camera?

johnna_arnold

The previous thread mentioned above is "Sinar lens board on 8x10 field camera?" at http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00M8R4

I can't think of any 4x5 field cameras that take the Sinar board, but maybe there are some. I would guess not, since it is a rather large board which isn't consistent with the goal of making the 4x5 field camera as portable as possible. Maybe your best approach would be to remount your lenses on smaller boards and use an adapter board made for your Sinar monorail. Some adapter boards are available ready-made? Or S. K. Grimes, Inc. or some other machinist could adapt a Sinar board to accept smaller lensboards so that you could mount the smaller lensboards to your Sinar monorail. This would allow you to select whichever 4x5 field camera that you like the best.

The problem is the Sinar uses a lens board that is larger than most 4x5 field camera lens board. The most popular size for field camera is the Linhof Technika type board. Toyo uses their own board. Wista and Horseman 4x5 field cameras I think uses the Technika boards.

One solution is mount all your lens on the smaller board. Then get an adapter lense board for your Sinar camera to take the smaller boards.

You can talk to Jeff at Badger Graphics or Jim at Midwest Photoexchange to see what options you might have for using your lenses.

When I only had a Sinar, once I had more than 3 lenses, I remounted all of my lenses to Linhof boards for a tremendous weight and bulk savings in the field. For the Sinar I used a technika to Sinar adapter board.

My lenses all migrated painlessly to a Master Technika.