D3 looks great

nikon_sales

I got to try out the D3 today at the Nikon D3 announcement party at the Swiss

Hotel in Osaka, Japan, and it's really great. I cannot post images per Nikon

agreement, but I can say that the models at the show were very noise free at IS0

6400. As clean as the Canon EOS 1D Mark III at 3200/JPG that I have. I have to

get some sleep now, and get up at 5 A.M. to shoot the 2007 IAAF World Athletics

Championships marathon in the morning.

Hi Wayne,

That is a valid observation. I would suggest that if you need a camera in the near term that is a proven performer, the D2x (or D2xs) would be good choices. The "need" part would really be critical to the question of what the value of those cameras will be as the D300 appears to be a better camera on paper and will cost only $2000 with the optional grip. If you can wait, the D2x and D2xs should see pretty dramatic price drops over the next year as the D300 becomes more widely available. The only other reason to consider a D2 camera at this time would be possible performance issues about the still untested D300 -- for that we'll just have to wait to see or jump in and find out for ourselves.

• 2 weeks later...
The Osaka T&F WC's have now concluded and I was able to use the D3 each day of the 9 day competition and all I can say is I am sold. I will buy the D3 as soon as they are available back in the states. I wasn't able to try out each option since I was on assignment. I played it safe and shot the nite events at no more than the calibrated ISO 6400 with good results. The lighting at Nagai Stadium is a bit lacking at the ends of the track. One of the major differences I noticed is the backfocusing problem in the D2X/D2Xs series has been fixed. The D3 is right-on, just spectacular objects at human running speeds at least.