Advice on the Canon 17-40mm ES

omar_gabriel

here are the spec of this Canon lens, I like to know if this lens is good or

not from experience users

A new and affordable L-series ultra-wide-angle zoom lens that's ideal for both

film and digital SLRs. Superior optics are assured by the use of three

aspherical lens elements, in addition to a Super UD (Ultra-low Dispersion)

glass element. Optical coatings are optimized for use with digital cameras.

This lens focuses as close as 11 inches (0.28m), and offers both Canon's full-

time manual focus and a powerful ring-type USM for fast and silent AF. It has a

constant f/4 maximum aperture, and offers the choice of screw-in 77mm filters

or a holder in the rear of the lens for up to three gel filters. Finally, it

offers weather-resistant construction similar to other high-end L-series lenses.

About half the price of the 16-35 f/2.8 lens, this L-series lens has an

entirely new optical design with three Aspherical elements and a Super UD-glass

element. The combination provides superb contrast and sharpness, even at the

widest settings. It's ideal for both film and digital SLRs, and features the

same weather-resistant design, rear gel filter holder, and high-speed

Ultrasonic Motor as the EF 16-35mm lens.

Features

EF mount; ultra-wide zoom lens

Super Ultra-low Dispersion glass; inner focusing; aspherical lens; full-time

manual focus

17-40mm focal length

f/4 constant maximum aperture

Ring-type UltraSonic Motor (USM)

is this lens any Good?

Peter - really good review. With an opinion of user and that's great. That's a pity that canon has 1.6x cameras and not e.g. 1.5x. 17mm on 1.6x camera is not enough. Nikon is going to have full frame camera now so maybe the prices of canon's 5D will be lower. BTW - difference between f/2.8 and f/4 = 2 stops. In article it's 1 stop.

It's an excellent lens. But if the price is painful, there are very good alternatives in the EFS mount (crop only, won't work on 5D or film) you could consider for half the price. Canon 17-85, Sigma 17-70 and some others. Check out Photozone.de for some reviews on those as well. I have the 17-40 wich stays on my film Elan 7 most of the time and is waiting for it's permanent home on a 5D. But I also have a sigma 17-70 as a walk around lens on my Xti. It's a great lens with great IQ and pretty fast focus for about $250.

You can never go wrong with L glass. The 17-40 is an excellent one...solid build, great optics...what more can you ask?

My only beef with the lens is that on the 1.6x cameras (I have a 30D) 17mm isnt wide enough for my liking. I like the drama of a super wide and for me anyway...the EF 10-22 was a better choice on the crop back.

EF 17-40mm f/4 L is a fine lens, though it is good to be aware of its personality quirks. I

have used this lens a lot on both crop and FF sensor bodies.

Center sharpness on this lens is excellent, outstanding even. It shows some noticeable

corner softness at wider apertures. This issue is less significant on a crop sensor body due

to the smaller sensor - you'll likely see it at f/4 and perhaps not notice it at f/8.

The corner softness issue is more noticeable on full frame. I only shoot it at f/4 on FF if a)

I will crop the corners or b) the image is such that corner softness is OK or even good.

Like virtually all lenses, it "vignettes" at wide apertures. I don't regard this as a big deal for

a bunch of reasons I won't expound upon right now.

Both corner softness and vignetting become insignificant at smaller apertures. I often

shoot landscapes with this lens on FF, where I rarely shoot wider than f/5.6. On full frame

I can shoot it at f/11 or f/16 where the softness and vignetting issues become truly

insignificant... and it is my favorite landscape lens.

Price is great. Build is great. Focal length range is very useful. Size and weight are fine.

This is a great lens for many purposes.

Check out the Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4. You gain a stop on the wide end and it costs under 300 now. You give up USM though, and build quality a little. I have use the Tamron on a 5D and am satisified, will drop the coin on the 16-35mm next spring though.

canon 17-40mm vs. tamron 17-35mm

http://nododo.home.comcast.net/ultrawide/

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/303168-REG/Tamron_AF05N700_17_35mm_f_2_8_4_Di_Autofocus.html

I have had the 17-40 since 2003. I find it to be very sharp and to have good contrast.

The only negatives I have heard are (1) it is not 2.8, and (2) it can show problems in the corners at the wide end at 4.0 or 5.6.

I use a 10-D (1.6 crop) so I have not noticed any problems in the corners.

Unless you really NEED the 2.8, get it and enjoy it. It is comparable in quality to the 16-35 2.8 at approximately half the price.

I use this lens with full frame bodies, professionally, quite often. I don't personally need

speed in a wide angle zoom, or for that matter, shallow depth of field, so the stop lost from

the 16-35mm f2.8 is insignificant to me. It does, however, provide similar or better

performance for 1/2 the price. I generally use it around f8 which clears up any corner

softness (apparent wide open) and vignetting is not an issue...

The only other point worth mentioning, is that to achieve full sealing, it requires a filter.