Preview article of Canon's latest model: EOS 40D!

hannahthiem

<p>

Canon just announced their latest "prosumer" model, the EOS 40D.

</p>

<p><i>

The EOS 40D is a more competitive camera than the 30D, which was a step-up from

the earlier Canon EOS 20D model. The newly-developed, high-efficiency 10.1 MP

sensor, 14-bit AD conversion and Highlight Priority and Noise reduction modes

should result in higher image quality with less shadow noise. The 6.5fps and

larger buffer should mean fewer missed shots for action photographers. The "Live

Preview" mode with a silent operation option should mean creative photographers

will have more scope for unique imaging. The EOS 40D also has somewhat improved

weathersealing, though it's not sealed to the extent that the 1D series bodies

are. Though it's an optional accessory the WFT-E3A dedicated wireless

transmitter will enable the 40D to send images directly to a PC or allow the

camera to be wirelessly controlled. It also enables connection to various GPS

receivers or Hi-Speed USB 2.0 external storage devices such as convenient flash

drives or high-capacity hard drives with much larger storage capacity than the

memory cards in the camera.

</i></p>

<p><i>-Bob Atkins</i></p>

<p>

Read the full preview <a href="http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/40D">here</a>.

</p>

Everything I wanted, AND cheaper than I expected. I will sell both my 10D and 20D (and possibly my 1D) and get two of them. Thanks, Canon! This thing basically sounds like a Diet Mark III, which is just what I wanted.

(Interchangeable focusing screens is an extremely smart addition.)

Keith

Impressive.

First takes;

1) 14bit A/D converter eh? This is the $64,000 question: Is the image quality improved over the XTi? IDo we have improved dynamic range? Or improved color? Improved ISO 1600?

If the answer is "a *real* improvement over the XTI; then we have a winner!

If the images from the XTi and 40D are incremental and only visible at 100% on a 24" monitor. . . .. pass.

2) ISO in the viewfinder! The lack of this key piece of information was noted by me about 3 days after I got my 10D (the day it came out in 2003), Very, very good. (although. . .still waiting for "iso priority mode".)

3) Live view. This may well be my new best friend! I was fondling a cheap olympus SLR the other day with this feature: I think I could get used to this. With the "AF-ON" button, I think this could revolutionize SLR photography.

4) $1299 list price. Cool!

I think everything for me hinges on the image quality. If they simply cloned the XTi chip for the 40D -> I will simply give up the upgrade game and shoot until my 10D until it becomes unrepairable; at which point I will buy a XTi. I don't care that the 40D only has a 10mp sensor. . .but it needs to be a BETTER 10mp sensor, not a warmed over XTi at twice the price.

The other news of the morning is the G7 with ST-E2 compatibility and RAW mode. SWEET.

Jim,

I am with you re: the G7 N. I am planning to get a point and shoot before year's end. I had pretty much decided on the the Leica competitor, but will probably go with the updated G7 instead due to the RAW mode. JPEG is fine on an SLR with full control, but on a point and shoot, I really wanted RAW.

Keith

Good price on used 30D?

Below the cost of a refurbished 20D. And the price on all of these cameras is now falling rapidly.

RAW mode and wireless flash (with ratio control?) in the G7 is a big deal. Call it an EOS lite. Without the RAW mode, I opted for the A640 over the G7 because (1) Cheaper, (2) Better ergonomics, (3) Same imaging components.