Photoshop Elements or Nikon Capture? Or?

robert_wayt

Greetings from Oregon. I have a D200, 18-200 VR and SB-800. Because it is my

first venture into digital photography, I have used the software supplied with

the camera (Picture Project). I know the software has limitations and seems to

get dissed a lot by those who are serious digital photographers.

In a nutshell, I'd like to upgrade and have read lots of positives about

Photoshop Elements and Nikon Capture. Which one would you recommend over the

other and why? Or should I go for something else? Thanks in advance for your

assistance.

Bob

I think NX is slightly easier to learn and some say does a better job of raw conversion. It can run slow. It avoids having to make selections to do local changes with U-Point Controls.

Google Nikon NX tutorials. You get to the Nikon sight that gives some quick time movies, pdf`s and interactive demos. It is excellent.

Elements is a scaled down full photoshop. Everything important is there for a beginner, but it is pretty intimidating at first. So start with the easy stuff, brightness/contrast, cloning, levels, and work your way up to layers and combining images that are not possible with NX.

You can download a free 30 day trial of each. Just don`t do both at the same time or you will not have time to explore each fully.

Neither is falling off a log easy, but you can learn. Many tutorials for Elements are on the net.

I can do most all I do with either, but I have CS3 as it offers some things that can not be done any other way.

Amazon sells NX for 129. Elements is 99 and the money can be applied to full CS should you want to go that way.

I use Nikon View and Nikon Capture NX. I have Photoshop 7 but rarely if ever use it for my raw images from my D 200. Nikon Capture is the only raw processor that reads the settigns in your raw images. I found Capture fairly easy to learn how to use. I do not know Elements. See the info at the post below.

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00MFQB

Joe Smith

NX is a very good program and good for specific functions because you can easily adjust certain parts of the picture. Don't count out Lightroom either if all you are going to do is edit your photos. Download each for thirty days, but you will need time to really test each one and come up with your own workflow. I prefer LR and PS CS3.

I have been using PhotoShop (from version 7 to CS3) for several years and am still learning about it. Recently I added Capture NX, but I haven't used PS Elements since moving to the full version. IMO PhotoShop is by far more powerful because of layers, selection, and masks. NX is fine for RAW conversion and color correction, but it is really lacking in many areas.

Thanks to all for the info. One question I forgot to ask first time around: What do you do when switching over from one software program to another and you already have thousands of images stored in the first program? Is there an easy way to transfer? Hope so. I have spent many hours (as I sure you have) sharpening, cropping, brightening/darkening, etc.

Bob

If I had to choose just one, it would Elements. While I prefer Nikon Capture for conversions, it does not do cloning and I doubt it has as much capability as Adobe. I have heard good things about the latest ACR plug in, but I'm still waiting for it to be demonstrated to be better than Nikon's software for conversions. The best conversions in my opinion are from Raw Magick Lite, which only costs $35.

For a review of Raw Magick Lite, Nikon Capture, and Capture One (I use all of these), check here: http://www.pbase.com/image/54524757

Regarding re-editing images with your new software, I would suggest taking images you would like to improve and placing them in a separate folder and opening them from there.

I haven't got around to learning to use all the features of NX but I depend on the program to process NEF files (sharpening, straightening, exposure, cropping) the save a tiff to be fine tuned in PS 7.0. I really should take the time to really get to know NX because I know it can do a lot more and is a lot cheaped than the full-blown PS program.

The more I get to know Lightroom, the happier I am with it. I have Lightroom and PS CS2, now that I have Lightroom I use photoshop a lot less, and I come out with many more "finished" images in an editing session - it makes basic editing (color, sharpness, minor dust etc) a snap, which is what I need for 90% of my photos.