CANONET G-III QL 17 AND HYPERFOCAL FOCUSING

Vincenzo,

I hate to disagree with Winfried. I too added a DoF scale to my canonet. However, with no way to ensure it was precise and well fastened I gave up on it.

I now keep the lens at infinity for all hyperfocal work. The rational behind this is well explained in Harold M. Merklinger's book _The INs and OUTs of FOCUS_.

Would it be possible to place or tape a piece of ground glass, or a focusing screen from another camera, right at the film plane, and check different focus points with the camera back open? Maybe by looking at it with a loupe or other means of magnifying the image?

"Would it be possible to ... check different focus points with the camera back open?" Yes, I highly recommend doing this for all RF cameras that one uses. There is no need to do this for the purposes of establishing a DoF scale.

There the throw/helical pitch of a camera is encoded in the lens' distance scale. So while copying a set of DoF marks from another camera is not advisable do to differing throws the pitch is readily available.

The difference in turning angle of the lens is no big problem when drawing your own DOF scale. Of course I did not copy one directly - each lens has its own focussing thread pitch and own "throw" for focussing.

I checked the DOF marks for f/8 and f/16 when the lens was set to 5m, and placed the marks close to the distance markings indicated by the DOF indicator of the 40mm "reference" lens.