Extract JPG from RAW

stefanovandelli

What I get is a CRW file and a THM file. The THM is indeed a JPG but only a thumbnail. I need to extract the beefy one and as far as I know it is embedded in the RAW file. I know I can do this with the Canon software but I have upgraded to Vista and wodering whether there is anything better to do the job.

Stefano - what software are you using?

When I shoot RAW+JPEG using either a 20D or 5D, I get the same experience as Bob... ie. 2 distinct files showing up on the card.

Sure you aren't shooting RAW only (in which case you can still CREATE a JPEG, so nothing's lost!)?

Note that when shooting RAW + JPEG you only see one file in the shot preview on the camera itself, just in case this is causing any confusion?

Simon

On a 10D you always have to shoot RAW+JPEG. The only thing you can change is the quality of the JPEG file. This creates two files per image taken. One is the RAW proper (.CRW) the other is a JPEG thumbnail, 9k in size (.THM).

Of course I shoot RAW so that I can create the best images possible(JPEGs, TIFFs or whatever) but when speed is of the essence, expecially on the field, it is useful to quickly extract the embedded JPEG. I haven't done this in a while as I didn't need to, but if I remember correctly it could be done with Canon file viewer (Extract/JPEG).

I could try to reload it into Vista and take my chances it doesn't screw anything up.

In addition to BreezeBrowser (which I use) both IrfanView (<a href="http://www.irfanview.net/">http://www.irfanview.net/</a>) and FastStone Image Viewer (<a href="http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm">http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm</a>) have RAW processing capabilities. Both of the last two are free for personal use.

Stefano,

I don't know, if it will work with the 10D (because I never had a raw file of a 10D) ... for my personal needs, I modified a C-source of Dave Coffin (the maker of dcraw) called 'crwparse' so that it stores the jpg file that is embedded into the crwfile of my 300D.

If you sent me a crw file of your 10D for tests, i'll send you my modified version of crwparse in response.

You can also use irfanview ... if you setup in properties->Plugins

if you check "try to load embedded preview image" instead of the other options. ... The drawback with this method is, that you cannot store the jpg-image 'as-is', you either store it as jpg, and thereby do another jpg-compression on it (loss of quality) or you store as tif.

I strongly second using FastStone Image Viewer. I have used several programs including Canon programs and Infraview to do this.

FastStone is by far the most complete and easy to use software for doing many image manipulations, including extracting the embedded JPEGs from Raw files (batch process or one pic at a time).

I guess the 10D does it differently from the 20D and 30D. I must admit I can't really remember what my 10D did, even though I know I shot RAW a few times with it.

Canon's Digital Photo Pro (DPP) will read the RAW file, but I don't know if it can extract a jpeg without doing a RAW conversion (which would be a lot slower).

Check this thread out. It suggests that Canon's EVU (EOS Viewer Utility) can do it - http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=009EsD

I just had this very question a couple days ago on POTN. Through trial, error, and discussion, I discovered that the only way I could successfully extract the as-written JPEG was to download and install EOS Viewer Utility. It has a menu option to extract the JPEG. File Viewer Utility also had the menu option, but for me it was greyed out and unusable. Both softwares are provided with your camera by Canon and are available on the Canon website to update to the latest version.

If you really need to do this, treasure your copy of the latest version of EOS Viewer, since this software is now obsolete. Current software like the latest version of DPP maintains support for CRW as well as the current CR2 raw format in most respects, but what other poisters have reported suggests that this particular facility is unsupported.

I have not figured out how to open the .THM files from my 10D, or how RAW plus JPEG works on this camera. I can figure out how to change the size of the JPEG, but that's it. I got no manual with it, unfortunately.

I figured that .THM files were only created so that the camera could display the images on the LCD when shooting RAW.

Another one of my thoughts was that the .THM file is what is used by DPP to store the edits you perform during the RAW conversion process, like the .XMP files.

Can I lose anything by deleting my .XMP or .THM files? They are all still there.

Keith