Bronica ETR/ETRS/ETRSi Backs

alex_j

I've noticed on KEH.com there are backs listed as 120 BACK, 120 EI BACK and 120

LATE BACK. Now I'm aware that the early backs had a single release tab and the

later backs had two opposing tabs.

<p>

But what is the difference between the 120 EI BACK and 120 LATE back?<br>

These both appear to have to twin tab design.

<p>

Why would someone choose a 120 EI BACK over a 120 LATE back or vica verca?

From the <a href="http://www.tamron.com/bronica/etr_guide.asp">Bronica Archives</a>:<p>

<p>

ETRS (1982): this is probably a "late" back<p>

<p>

The backs changed the insert release from the single tab with the coaxial lock to two independent tabs which must be squeezed simultaneously.<p>

<p>

ETRSi (1989): this is an Ei back<p>

<p>

"The backs have a locking darkslide, designated by a grey handle. The film advance grasp on the insert changed to a folding crank. The pressure roller tension was increased for film flatness improvement. The body/back F-Release pin housing returned to a substantial metal collar. Internally, the counter mechanism and gears were revised for greater reliability."<p>

<p>

So, the darkslide lock of the Ei may be a good thing to have as well as the mechanical "improvements"...

Excellent answer from my experience.

I have a few of each. The most important thing to me is the condition of the film back. I wouldn't turn down a really good deal on any of them as they all work very well in good condition. If you shoot lots and lots of film the newer backs have nicer features, but not so much better that I wouldn't purchase an early back in good shape.

Backs are so cheap nowadays. All things being equal, you want the EI back. The folding crank (which is really part of the insert, not the back shell) is a very nice feature.

The dark slide lock is the best feature of them all. It prevents the shutter release from firing with the dark slide in. Nothing is worse than getting back your film to find 15 pictures of the dark slide!

KEH is a great source. On Ebay, I have had great dealings with Shutterblade. They are a great and reputable dealer.

I'm with John: they all work, the newer ones will prevent blank frames.

And as he says, you can have lots of film. I typically carry fast chrome, slow chrome, B&W, and frequently color negative simultaneously. It's interesting to see the slight color differences between the different films.