Tight crops have impact, format problems to 8x10's

dennis osipiak

I offer both flush mount albums with original designs and traditional mat albums

with 8x10's (among other sizes). Some of the images I admire and do on occasion

are very tight closeups..they look great as previews and as part of a design in

a flush mount book where I control images size and format.Of course that means

8x10's are out of the question because of the format ratios. (No-one is

interested in 10x13's for photos to the family etc) . I'm curious if others just

continue to shoot some tight compositions (letting customers know that 8x10's,

16x20's are not possible with those photos)or do you just leave the extra room

for cropping 8x10's and then print some of the same images brought in tight in

PS for the "impact" view? (Double proofing some images then) Please note that I

include actual preview prints along with the final larger album (flush or mat)

Dennis

I took the focus screen out of my camera and drew two thin black lines with a marker on the short ends of the glass. This gives me an 8x10 proportioned area within the black lines. I tend to crop tightly too.

No more problem with people ordering prints of tightly cropped images and having things chopped off.

I'm excited about the new Nikon D3 that will have the option to capture 4x5 format images. I like that ratio better than the current dslr image ratios.

Yeah Charles your missing something, order many 8X10's from your shots??. Good question Dennis, I am waiting for retail society to change the 1930's old school medium format to where 8X12 is the new size. Otherwise when I shoot formals or a formal like shot I leave space for an extra person in the composition and it will make a nice 8X10. The rest of the day I shoot as my viewfinder sees it. With a cheaper 5mp you really need to light it well, with 10mp and up the crop will still look good with nice light. Someday we will walk into stores and 8X12 will be the main frame I hope. Lightroom has a nice cop feature where you can arrange the 8X10 crop over your shot. Most pros I know just sell the 8X12 rather than deal with centering the shot on an 8X10 canvas.

The cheap canon grid screen has lines which are exactly on the 4:5 crop which 8X10" is, Ifurther emphasised them with a pencil and have the screens in both my 5D's. It makes sense not to compose for the full 2:3 format, that kills you for all the usual enlargement crops as well as a 7X5" even. Yes leaving the space does mean that I have to crop in processing for better looking proofs but if I want to sell 8X10" albums (one of my packages) then that is the cost. Like it or not 8X10" is still an extremely popular size as most frames availabe in the regular stores are either 7X5 or 8X10. Not providing the ability to use commonly available frames for your prints is in my opinion a disservice to the client who orders the print. If you leave it up to them to cut then hyou will still need to have shot the picture with the possible crop in mind otherwise your work will be showcased for al time in someones house looking dreadful!

This point was just made by Larry Schaefer in a recent thread, a tight crop through the viewfinder is fine if you already know exactly what size print you'll want from the image. Many photographers will shoot some of the formals with both popular ratios in mind but most leave the crop a little loose to accomidate all the different print sizes.

This has been a struggle for me. I use the view finder to help me create the image, and then I am stuck with ordering sizes that won't capture the same image. My business partner drills into me frame then back out. When backing out, the image is there, you'll just have more room to crop into it to get it regardless of printing size.

• 2 weeks later...