Nikkor 50mm f1.4 AF vs 50mm f1.4 AF-D

tisbone

They are comparable in quality and performance. The D version supposed to help with flash exposures, although I personally did not see any exposure differences when I compared the two years ago. The used non-D version is cheaper, I would consider getting that one.

The optical formula is virtually identical between the two lenses. I own both the 1.4 AF non-D and a Nikkor-S for the Nikon F...and other than the coatings, it's virtually identical optically, the same minimum f/16 aperture and 1.5 ft. minimum focus distance.

The D means that there is a chip which relays subject distance to help in calculating flash power...there are very few scenarios where you truly NEED this. Both are 100% compatible with the D50 and D200.

You'll save a few bucks (~$40-50) in choosing the non-D version.

These lenses are optically identical (and in fact their optics date back as far as the 50mm f1.4 AI, if not further).

The D offers better flash exposure with i-TTL flashes(it's much less important with plain TTL on film, but is noticeable with i-TTL). That's the sole difference.