How to set up flash on 67II camera??

bruce_mattes

I am seriously considering the purchase of a 67II camera & lenses..

I am pretty much a complete novice when it comes to flash, although from

visiting this & other forums over the past several months I know that I will

want to start learning about & using flash more than I have in the past..

I have several questions regarding flash use/compatibility with the 67II

camera..

What models of older Pentax flashes were most useful with this camera,

specifically with macro & portrait photography??..

Do the newer Pentax flashes designed for digital work with the 67II??..Are they

worth the extra money??..

What items of equipment other than the flash unit itself are required to set up

with this camera??..Where can they be purchased??..

How would someone configure a dual flash set-up for the 67II??..

Since both Canon & Nikon have much more complete offerings in their respective

current flash lineups, I was wondering...............

Is it possible to adapt either the Canon MT-24EX Macro Twin-Lite flash unit, or

Nikon's SB-800s flash system to work with the 67II in manual mode??..

The MT-24EX Macro Twin-Lite flash from Canon really interests me for macro

work..

Thanks to any & all who take the time to answer my questions!!

Regards, Bruce

I twould be worth your time taking a quick look at the manual. On page 57 is some information about TTL flash on the P67II. See:

http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/manual/67II.pdf

In short, you can use Pentax dedicated flases that have the 5P connection. You have, no doubt, noticed that there is no hot shoe on the camera, so to use a dedicated flash (or any flash) on camera, you must have the hot shoe grip. The P67II grip has a hotshoe that connects to the camera through the 5P connector on the body.

I don't know that you can use a Canon or Nikon flash as a dedicated flash. However, there are third party flashes that have the Pentax 5P connection.

I have no idea how you might set up dual flashes using TTL. I would be tempted to say that if you are doing something that sophisitcated, you should be comfortable useing a flash meter.

Thanks Nigel

I plan to purchase a light meter & learn how to use it..

Is this what you are talking about??..

If so, any reccomendations as to a light meter??..

As regards the hot shoe grip, how do you connect the flash on the grip to the camera??..Is there a special cord that is needed??..If so, what is it called..

Also, I'll download the manual so that I can read it & learn..Should have done so by now!!

Bruce

You'll need the "5P TTL Sync Cord for Pentax 67II" to connect the wood handled Pentax Hotshoe Grip 67II to the camera body.

Careful, there are older wood handle grips that do not have a hot shoe. If you buy the 67II handle new, it comes with the 5P sync cord.

Some of this stuff is getting rare & hard to find new or used.

B&H still have some of it:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/category/5412/Medium_Format_Systems_Pentax_Medium_Format.html

Nikon or Canon or any other flash units will work in non-TTL mode with a generic PC sync cord. You'll need a Pentax flash or perhaps a Metz/Pentax unit to get dedicated TTL flash. Are you aware that the 67II sync speed is a paltry 1/30th second? This is too slow to be useful in some common situations. It's OK for macro if nothing is moving....

The manual linked above has info on which Pentax flash units work with the 67II.

Hi Bruce,

Most tripod manufacturers will have specifications on their webpages regarding the weight of the equipment that you intend to use. Therefore, you can look for tripods that are better for MF cameras or even LF cameras, as well as determine what other characteristics (Al, Carbon, wood, etc.; weight; center column; number of sections) that are of interest to you. Your question is a little too broad for anyone other than yourself to answer...

But, you do have a GREAT camera in the P67II!

Tim!

Whoops! Responded to the wrong question!!!

Regarding the flash, I'd suggest one of the Pentax dedicated flashes, especially the AF-500FTZ. With some additional flash accessories, such as the hotshoe adapters and 5P cords, you could link two (or more) flashes together. In this way, they'll both fire via the camera, and you'll still have the TTL flash functions, which will help to keep the flash under control. Also, you could simply set up a second flash as a slave with the built in function on the 500FTZ. I'd also suggest that you download the 500FTZ manual and review it, as you'll see lots of options for working with it on your Pentax equipment. I use mine on my P67II and Pentax digital cameras and have been extremely pleased with the results...

Tim!

• 1 month later...