From the other side: amateur photog. getting married; I need you!

john_d._erickson

So, being an amateur photographer myself, and having loved photo.net for years

and years, I want one of you, you extremely conscientious, constantly learning,

constantly critiquing photographers to photograph my wedding this fall. (Oct 13,

Cape Cod.)

So how do I find you?

You could answer a) "I'm right here! here's my portfolio" but that might not be

permitted on the forum. Not sure. Or you could say b) "here's a good way to find

a photographer."

Lots of online searches have given me some leads but nothing quite right. Or, a

few that were perfect but too expensive. (It's often discussed if a bride/groom

"value" X's work for ~$4500. And I value it! I do! But this is a lower-key

lower-budget wedding all around, so it has to be a bit less.) And a few whose

portfolios I didn't like.

Thanks for any suggestions or leads.

Best,

John

John,<p>I would love for you to check out my site: <a href="http://www.ellzeyphotography.com">www.ellzeyphotography.com</a>. I travel nationwide and a fall, Cape Cod wedding sounds wonderful. Oct 13 actually happens to be my only weekend left unbooked in October. My prices are on the web site and include travel, though Cape Cod would be under "Other Location" (that will make sense when you visit the site). Enjoy the search, and I hope to hear from you soon.<p>Nathan Ellzey

I was married two years ago and went through the same thing. All my friends were photographers but all involved in the wedding and on a budget...It was a very hard thing to hire an outside photographer.

I am not booked for that weekend in October and would love a reason to travel back to the east coast. I live in Boston for almost four years. I would be interested to talk to you more about the details of your event. As far as price goes I don't have packages, everything I do is catered to each couple I work with.

You can see a sampling of my work on my website www.cmthphotography.com

My contact information is on the website if you would like to see what we can arrange. Hope to hear from you.

Good luck with the rest of your event planning.

Wow, thanks to all of your for these quick responses, and for several e-mails too. I will look at all of your web pages.

Anne -- thanks especially for the website link to wpja.com

Robert -- sure, a Mercedes for a Chevy budget (could we say Honda? quality and value?) The wedding industry and the way people spend on weddings is absolutely out of hand. Jill and I are trying our best to keep it informal and inexpensive, but quality. I wish I could pay $5k for photos, but if we found that much money it might be better spent on say, a house down payment for the lovely new couple? We'll buy the $5k photo job for our 10th anniversary party, how about that?

To get you into the mindset: 110 people. 4.30pm. Sun sets at 6.04p that day. Cape Cod boathouse ("homey") for the ceremony & reception. No bridal party (siblings will be witnesses), no matching lavender dresses for anyone. GOOD wine. GREAT food. (She's a cook, and we're preparing the food ourselves the week before with some great sources and friends for ingredients, hiring servers for the day of.) Fun people. Music, dancing.

To get specific on photos:

What I think would be great is to pay $2 - 2.5k for 6 hours of digital shooting and to get 1 nice book of proofs (4 x 6 size?) and a few DVD-Rs with everything; done deal. I know some photogs don't like to work this way (making prints is more income) but some might prefer this; furthermore, I like the control later on, and don't want to rely on contacting you for prints late in life.

Anyone care to say if they think I'm being a) unreasonable b) sort of reasonable c) very reasonable?

Because 4 of those 6 hours will be low-light, and mostly indoors, it will be challenging; you'll have to be great with flash. We love candids (after taking the obligatory posed family shots) and have seen some great work in online portfolios, and some less than great. (But I haven't checked YOUR websites yet!)

Maybe I'm saying too much here? -- just trying to help you guys get into my head.

Best,

and THANK YOU,

what a community!

--John