john_.

I recently got asked to do a an interior architectural shot for a local

builder, Time will be of the essence, so I thought I would bring my laptop and

shoot it tethered. It's the HP9410us if that makes any difference and I will be

shooting RAW. I currently use picasa as my Raw converter. Can anyone help me

out as to how to go about doing this? Will I just need a long USB cord to go

from the camera to the computer? Any and all help would be greatly

appreciated...

A USB cable up to 5m should be no problem.

Windows doesn't offer live watching of folders so you will need a tethered photo application. The least cost option is Nikon Camera Control Pro, you can download a free trial from Nikon to check it out.

The alternative is to buy a RAW processor such as BibblePro or CaptureOne which are designed for this job. But that will be much more expensive.

I now use the wireless WT-3, but that's even more expensive.

I would opt for Nikon CCP and a USB cable. It'll do everything you need.

Interior shots for a builder should be new homes and a lot of easily avalible electrical outlets. I would take advantage of that and go with the AC adapter for the Nikon. Anthony is right on the "battery hog" when working tethered.

I do this with my D70 for a Santa Clause mall shoot. Nikon Capture control, usb, Nikon AC adapter tethered to a laptop and networked to a second laptop. 2 printers and I give parents finished pictures in 5 min. to half an hour.

I will do the same when I get a D80 but the D200 uses different wires (excpt USB)

Errol

re: the batteries.

I recently did a five hour shoot, tethered, three sb800's so my onboard flash was the

commander, and I only went through two and a half batteries. I always keep one extra

battery charged in my bag, or charging while the other one is being used.

half an hour seems terribly short compared to the battery life I have been getting.

If no electricity is available, then I use the D200 Multi-Power Battery Pack, and carry AA's

in my bag, but to be honest, I've never needed to go the double a route.

I use capture control pro with my PB G4. Works great. Make sure you bring a long

extension cord as well a long USB cord in case you can't have the lap top close to the

camera. You can do all your shooting from within camera control (controlling exposure

etc) . Download the trial as someone else mentioned. Test it before you go to the shoot to

familiarise yourself with the settings, as it can be finicky out of the gate.

It's also helpful because what you see in the viewfinder of your camera, is rarely what the

image really looks like. So having the image on the laptop monitor can really help you get

that shot you are looking for, in less time, and with less post editing. But I still shoot RAW

just in case.

John,

I would just take an extra battery and your charger. If the first runs out load the second and put the first on charge.

I use the WT-3 wireless adapter for portrait shoots and that uses serious power and I get about an hour out of each battery. I have 4 batteries and a double charger to get me through a full day.

Assume you will get half the RAW images per charge compared with what you are used to.

ps I am talking about genuine Nikon batteries here.

I wonder if the brightness setting (+2) on my LCD monitor has anything to do with my personal experience with battery drain when the camera is tethered. Anyway, another advantage to using the adapter is that you don't get a power interruption and have to stop to change batteries. Nonetheless, a couple of chargers and 6 or 7 batteries should be adequate.

• 9 months later...