Sigma and Tamron lenses for the 400D

alexguerra

So I finally decided to invest in a DSLR system and after some consideration

I've chosen the 400D body. The real trouble came when I started looking for the

lenses. I wanted something with a long zoom and wide end and so the Sigma 18-200

f/3,5-6,3 seemed like the perfect option until I started reading mixed reviews

about it, some being rather bad.

I'm now leaning towards to getting the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro + Tamron

55-200mm f/4,0-5,6 DI II. They have some good reviews and are within my budget.

Does anyone have practical experience with any of these lenses? (I did a search

in old posts but didn't find anything helpful)

Any other suggestion regarding lenses with these features, mostly for street

photography and all around usage, until about 300 Eur would be greatly

appreciated. Thank you!

I have two Canon Digital Rebel XT's and am very happy with my Sigma 17-70 and Canon 70-300 IS. The Sigma front-focused somewhat when I first got it. I sent it in to Sigma under warranty, along with its XT body, and the pair came back with really nice focus.

Not sure if you need the 300mm range. I bought the 70-300 IS for an African safari last year and it worked just great. The IS capability helped greatly at the longer focal lengths.

"Elvis has entered the building.." Thanks WW, for street photography, I would agree with WW, I have a Tamron 17-50mm instead of the Sigma version and won't comment on the 17-70 because I have never seen or used it. The Tamron is light, small, fixed 2.8 and sharp for a zoom, at least both my Nikon and Canon versions are. I have sold my Nikon stuff, so no longer have access to that one. My Canon is just as sharp. For street stuff, I would think the most important quality besides optically speaking is small and inconspicuous. For Canon, that would lead me to a smallish fast zoom. I would avoid longer zooms black or white versions, and maybe substitute a prime, like an 85/1.8, 135/2 or 200/2.8 at most at the long end. When I travel and shoot street stuff, this lens has to do more so I do use and take the 70-300mm IS instead and have done well with it during daytime. At night, sorry, you be stuck with a fast prime, even boosting ISO up. FWIW...JMHO,YMMV..

Thanks a lot for your answers. After much thinking and reading very favorable reviews I've decided to get the Tamron 18-250mm after all. Hope I won't regret! After some experimentation I should then get a fast prime like the Canon 50/1.8 for indoor shooting and the occasional portrait.