hi all, just got a canonet ql25 from the bay, everything works(had to re cement

and recalibrate the rangefinder mirror!)shutter speeds seem accurate on manual

but when set to b you can see that the aperture never changes(seems around

f11/16) is this problem easy to remedy, ive googled stuff on this and other

canonets but always seems to be the shutter blades stuck, cant find anything on

aperture blades,any one have any ideas

cheers in advance

chris

In most Canonet cameras, the aperture and shutter were a single mechanism, with the shutter opening to the correct aperture and then closing. The vast, vast majority of old Canonet cameras have non-functioning shutters. The aperture/shutter was formed by either two or three blades (I think it as two) and formed variations of an asymmetrical, off-centre trapezium, but the results were pretty good.

• 5 years later...

<p>This thread is long cold, but since I just had the same problem with a Canonet ql17, I thought I would post my experience.<br>

The aperture blade get sticky because the lubricant with time becomes less fluid. Working them will solve the problem without dissassembling the camera. Specifically, what I did was to set the aperture to 1.7, fire the shutter, set to 16, fire the shutter again. Then repeat the entire procedure. The frame counter helped me keep track of how many times I repeated the procedure: two and a half rolls, or about 80 shots.</p>

<p>Also, on the ql17, operating in manual mode, the aperture blades snap to the right aperture when the rewind lever is pulled and the shutter is cocked. In other words, they are already at the right aperture when the shutter release is depressed.<br>

I do not know what is meant to happen in automatic mode - I am waiting to receive a battery in the mail :-)</p>