Leica in Yosemite!

Nice shot, Wai-Leong.

What time of day was it taken? From the darkness of the sky I thought you might have used a red filter, but since that's not indicated in the exposure information, I wonder whether it was taken at dusk. You exposed 6 stops under the Sunny 16 rule for bright sunlight with an ISO 25 film, so I assume this wasn't taken at noon.

While I understand the appeal of a bigger camera for such shots, legend has it that the reason the sickly Barnack developed the Leica was to have a small camera suitable for nature photography on his hikes through the woods.

The concept seems to have worked admirably here.

<< ... starting to sound like Terrence Mahoney! ... >><p>

Terence was <a href=http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00F6Y8> often</a> very <a href=http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00F76H>funny</a>. I miss his posts.<p>

Yosemite's quite a place, isn't it ?

Ansel did a lot of mediocre work in Yosemite early on, while he learned his chops. I'm sure he'd have loved a Leica if it existed when he started out. Some of his medium format portraiture was excellent, and his Polaroid work was a waste.

What I'm saying is, burn film, have fun.

I know it is sacrilege to say this, but Ansel Adams images are technical marvels but as for emotional content, the real realm of art, they are mostly tech for tech's sake, mighty as it is, and don't go deeper than that. Even Minor White, the most ascetic among the lot, was often attracted to a scene because of the challenge of placing zones. Having said that, I'll also say that Moonrise Over Hernandez and a few others are exceptions to the above.