Suggestions for enlargers?

I am thinking of getting back into the darkroom after a 10-yr hiatus. Most of my previous

experience was processing both transmission and scanning electron micrographs at the

university (using a point source enlarger). About 90% of my photography, currently, is

black & white. I use M6TTLs and a Leicaflex SL2, and have become frustrated by the

high prices of black & white processing. Some labs no longer offer proof prints, and

others have become prohibitively expensive. I would appreciate your recommendations

as to high quality enlargers that I might consider for printing 35mm B&W images. Thank

you in advance.

If you only plan to print 35mm, why not a Focomat? Leica made their own enlargers for a long

time and they are considered to be among the best. Their downside is that many of them do

not print larger than 35mm...some do, but not all. But that would not be a downside for you,

so you might want to look into it. The latest is the Focomat V35.

If you are in a dusty environment, I highly recommend buying a dichroic enlarger. It will reduce dust and scratch effects wonderfully, and the dial-in filtering is a godsend compared with enlarger filter drawers. I started out with a Saunders condensor enlarger, but being near several busy roads and a heavily traveled freeway there is just too much dust in the atmosphere and dust was a nightmarish recurring bummer. I gave the condensor enlarger to my sister and bought the Saunders (now Omega) 670MXL LPL dichroic enlarger and everything is vastly improved. Now I can print my Leica negs without spending time hassling with dust and other artifacts.

I find that the enlarger lens is where you quality really is. Get a 6 element 50/2.8. After that to me it is more ease of use. Lenses are cheap on Ebay. Saunders LPL 670 VCCE is about as easy as I have used. Beseler 23C are good as well. If you plan to use Variable Constrast paper a "color head" or VCCE head(variable contrast constant exposure) is helpful. I own both enlargers and I can handle negatives as large as 6x9. You can just "dial in" the contrast you need. I set up my initial darkroom for around $250. Complete with a set of trays,chemicals,paper, timer & tank & reels. Check out freestylephoto.biz they have everything you need. Good luck and enjoy.-Brad

The Focomat 1c is fine for B&W, just be sure it is in good condition, especially

the bellows. If you want to produce larger than 8 x 10 inch prints you might

use a better lens than the original Focotar 50mm. Autofocus may not work

well with other modern 50mm lenses, but this may not matter. Even with

autofocus, it is always best to check focus at the printing magnification.

I don't know if the V35 represents any advances in terms of B&W (it was

designed also for colour printing). Other enlargers are fine as well, but I

would disagree that any enlarger is fine. Some have terrible mechanics (poor

mechanical construction). Stability is important. Good luck, and keep the

paper manufacturers happy! They need clients like us.

I have had owned two Focomat V35 enlargers and am still using the second of them. However, I did not simply want to add another V35 recommendation, even though it is an outstanding piece of equipment.

Instead, I would suggest that you look at a 6x6 enlarger in case, at some point in the future, you are enticed into medium format film cameras. There is something very, very special about enlarging from 120 roll film, and the Focomat V35 simply won't do it.

With a 6x6 enlarger, all you need to be able to switch formats between 35mm and 120 is two enlarging lenses. This is a good time to buy as there is a glut of good darkroom equipment.

If you decide to go with the Leitz Focomat V35, try to get hold of a Schneider APO-Componon 40mm f/2.8 HM. The Leitz Focotar is an excellent lens but the Schneider is truly exceptional. Once you have used one, you will never be entirely happy with the Focotar, worthy though it is. It is worth searching for one on the big auction site where used examples occasionally appear at very reasonable prices.

The 40mm focal length means that the "autofocus" feature of the V35 will still work. You can use 40mm and 50mm lenses on the V35 and still get "autofocus", but all other focal lengths will require manual focusing.

Obviously, if you are not using a V35 you can use focal lengths other than 40mm/50mm, and there is a 45mm version of the Schneider APO-Componon HM that is probably the sharpest enlarging lens ever made.

Tony

According to this site:

http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/photo/v35.htm

there were 3 modules made for the V35--color, mulitgrade, and b&w. Is it crucial to go with

the multigrade or b&w modules if you are doing b&w exclusively? I ask because the V35

seems pretty hard to find, and I have seen mostly the color head for sale. And finally, what's

a fair price to pay for one of these nowadays?

"The Focomat 1c is fine for B&W, just be sure it is in good condition, especially the bellows."

I had an old Valloy (the "manual" focus version of the Focomat)when I was first starting out. These things are setup so the negative is helf flat by the condenser, and Newton's Rings are common. They made an anti-NR glass as an afterthought but there hard to find today. In addition to the bellows, things to check carefully are: the condenser for scratches (will show up on the print), the wiring (an easy DIY fix but not if you electrocute yourself first), and that a negative carrier is included (very expensive to buy as a seperate item these days). My vote is for a good Omega or Durst, those are workhorses, cheap, and parts and accessories are easy to find and cheap. But if you must have something by Leica, ignore my last suggestion.

you can either use the multicontrast ( easier to work with ) or the color module for b&w

multigrade paper. i am in the process of convincing myself that i urgently need a heiland

splitgrade, this will substite the original modules on the V35.

a friend is selling his V35 here in mexico, but it will probably be wiser to get one closer to

home due to it's weight and volume for shipping.

I recently picked up a little used V35 with Vario-contrast head, unused colour head, 40 focotar, 50 focotar (unused) and focometer 2 for 255UKP which gives you some idea of what you can get if you lurk on e-bay for long enough. It was a 500 mile round trip to collect it - which all would be ok if I actually had somewhere to build a darkroom! One day . .

Very funny, JRM. If you were in the states, I'd offer to 'store' it for you while you built the

darkroom. David, where in Mexico? I'm in Texas, not too far from the border, and you never

know....

I use both the Focomat V35 and the Focomat Ic and have, at one time or another, used the Beseler 23C (variable contrast head), the Omega B22, the Omega D2, Omega B8, and a Durst 606.

These are all good serviceable machines but the Leitz enlargers stand out among them, the V35 is a superb enlarger. The Focomat Ic has its own charms, the quality of the illumination among them, and is worth considering on its own merits. If you feel the need for more modern glass than the Focotar originally fitted to the Focomat, there are plenty of El Nikkors, Componons, and Rodagons going for a song these days.

One of the best places to look or an enlarger is craigslist. Most sellers just want you to pick the darn thing up. Anything you give them is found money. There was a Bogen 69 Special on Craigslist for $50. The seller was in Maryland. I offered to Express Mail him a Postal Money Order and to have a service pick it up. He did not go fir it and just sold it to someone local.

I still have the original Bogen 22A Special I got in High School in the early 1970s. It has a larger home made baseboard and I have better lenses for it now but it still works very well. More recently I bought an Omega B22 for $25 and then added some negative carriers and then I got an Omega C700. The C700 was about $25 + shipping from an ebay seller. It came without a baseboard so I made one and got a 6X7 negative carrier from Harry at Classic Enlargers. You can get Omega B22 enlargers in good condition for very little and from what I have seen so far in using them it is more sturdy and steady than the C700. Last Sunday I printed 6X7, 6X45 and 35mm negatives with the C700. It takes some getting used to but it does work. If there is any chance you wil get interested in medium format photography get an enlarger which will do 6X7. Making an enlargement with that big negative is very nice. The B22 goes only to 6X6.

• 1 year later...
<p>Another vote for the leitz v35 enlarger outstanding build quality. I have two You would have been proud of that sales pitch to the girfriend complete wth song and dance. thank God she loves me I can be difficault. Another vote for 40mm Schneider f/2.8 apo its a very fine lens. I would also add the heiland splitgrade system it is money well spent if You plan on lots of printing. This combination will save you time, money and give You prints as good or better than anything in 35mm darkroom. I.M.H.O.</p>