Wide angle pocket cam - decisions, decisions!

davek57

Looking at a Panasonic TZ3 (28-280mm lens equiv., with image stabilization) and

the Canon SD800is (28-105mm, also image stabilized). I've used products from

both manufacturers, as well as Kodak's V570 (23-117mm). The new camera would

supplement my Nikon DSLR when I prefer to travel light.

Both the Canon and Panasonic will have modest corner distortions at wide angle.

Both will have some noise issues above ISO400. Neither has extensive manual

controls. I want sharp, wide-angle optics in a small package, and I'm okay with

a little compromise. So, all things being equal: which would you choose for

general walkabout photography?

Thanks for your thoughts.

-D

I don't know either of these cameras, but it seems that the camera of choice for wide angle compact these days is the Ricoh GX100, with a 24-70mm lens of reportedly excellent quality. It is image stabilized and also shoots RAW files.

And the Ricoh GR-D has a fixed 28mm (equiv) lens that is extremely sharp corner to corner with almost no distortion, if it is the wide angle you are looking for.

The Ricoh GX8 is also a good choice for a wide angle zoom (28-85mm equiv) and is less expensive than the above cameras.

Ricoh offers an "R" series of very compact cameras also with 28mm wide angle also.

Go to www.popflash.com to see a range of ricohs available in the US. I have NO affiliation with them BTW, nor do I use a Ricoh camera at this time. I did use a 5meg GX pretty much daily for about 2 years and can vouch for their fast performance and great handling.

The G camera lenses above are all pretty fast also, I think f/2.5 at the wide end.

Dave,

I can personally endorse the recommendation for the Ricoh GX100 - it is a superb camera that can produce superb images for a compact that print up very well at A3 size.

The lens only goes up to 72mm but is 24mm at the wide end so perfect for street, landscape and many general uses.

I have some of my GX100 images posted here in my portfolio:

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=746825

I've been testing it out now for a couple of months and plan on taking this as my main camera while in Paris from September 10-25. Last year I walked around Paris with my three lens DSLR outfit for 12 days....not again...

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/gallery/2900447#156043664

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/gallery/3047994#165903262

The GX100 is probably the ultimate wide angle compact for advanced users, but I would also call the TZ3 the ultimate point & shoot...two distinctly different things, and at a much more affordable price too, but only you can tell us what's important for you. My girlfriend owns the SD800is and loves it. In my opinion, they both produce excellent results. Between those two, It comes down to what focal length range you want access to. While the optical finder of the SD800 in theory is a plus, it's not very accurate in actual use. You need to use the LCD if you wanna really know what you're recording.

"I want sharp, wide-angle optics in a small package, and I'm okay with a little compromise."

Depending on your requirements and definition of "sharp", what you are looking for may exist, or not. The 24mm lens on the GX100 is certainly sharp, but also exhibits barrel distortion. How little is your "little" compromise?

Panasonic is the best option for wide-angles starting at 28mm, they have loads of cameras with that feature. I would not discount the LX2, for example.

We just went through the same dilemma - torn between the same two cameras mentined in the 1st post. I'm a big fan of Canon. I was set on the SD800 IS until I tried the panny. We chose the panasonic for several reasons: 1) Better images from a better lens; 2) Much greater zoom range; 3) Excellent user interface integration with the LCD displays (Canon should be ashamed); 4) No buttons in the way of your thumb itching to be pushed accidentally; 5) Much larger LCD. If you follow, avoid ISO 800 and higher where the noise reduction is intrusive. dpreview shows the panny noise issues well. Although 24mm would be nice, the Ricoh 72mm long end is a stong limitation for a general purpose P&S.