What's a good everyday lens (and where can I rent one to try) ?

phillip_c1

Hi!

I own a Rebel Xti and I'm looking for a good everyday lens. I'd prefer

something that can support both small and large sensors/film. (I have a film

camera I'd also like to use this with)(USM is a requirement)

Additionally, I was wondering where to go rent and try lenses in the Southern

US (Georgia).

Thanks!

~Phillip

28-135 IS USM ($409) or the 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 II ($229). I have the 28-135 which works great on my xt and my t2. The 105 is supposed to be very good, and uses 58mm filters, which is cheaper but no IS. Third option would be the 24-85 ($309), which I humbly do not know enough about. (prices are from bhphoto.com)

Phillip,

You didn't mention the price range that you'd like to spend... but I think you'd be delighted with the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM lens.

Here's a short review link of the lens.

http://www.lensplay.com/lenses/lens_data.php?lensID=39

As far as rentals in Georgia, just search the web for something like "camera rental in Atlanta" There must be plenty of them in Atlanta.

I hope this helps.

//Chuck

The only place to rent lenses locally in Atlanta is Professional Photo Resources on 11th St. west of GA Tech (ppratlanta.com, I believe). They are a good option for a single day or a weekend rental. But they will put a large deposit on your card, as someone suggested.

On the web, I have rented one item each from lensprotogo.com and lensrentals.com. They are both very good in my opinion. They are also significantly less expensive for a weekly rental than PPR. They will also be effectively your only option is you live outside of Metro Atlanta.

1. In which price range?

2. Due to the very different crop factor it will be impossible to find a lens which will fit nicely on both. A 17-40/4 will be a nice all-around lens on the XTi but not long enough on film. Likewise, 24-XX or 28-XX lenses will be a nice all-around lens on film but not wide enough on XTi.

Happy shooting,

Yakim.

I apologize for not placeing a price range, but something around 200-300 dollars would be okay, but obviously cheaper is better. But I don't want to sacrifice any on the aperture size, something from 2.8 and down would definitely be ideal. at greatest 4. I've sort of given up my quest for something that will also work well on my old film WiLite, so anything that will work on a small sensor (1.6 factor ) will be fine. I was also wondering how far 75 mm will take me? 75mm seems really short. I have a 17-55 right now and as I see it 75 mm would only take me in another couple degrees. So if anyone can tell me at what mm value they usually work at for close up shots of wildlife from 10 feet away I'd be incredibly greatful. I also do a lot of macro photography so something that can be placed close to the subject is critical. Thanks to everyone!