Expecting a new Leica Digilux 3 soon!

Hi,

I am new to this Leica world but I have some experiences with Canon and M42 manual lenses. I read that

the Leica Digilux 3 comes with 4/3 mount so it means that I can adapt my M42 lenses to use with the

Leica. I wonder if any of you have tried it before? Will LiveView work with adapted M42 lenses.

I also checked out the Panasonic L-1 and basically it can save me some bucks...As mentioned above, I do

mostly manual focusing and the good thing about the Panasonic is Katzeye do offer split image focussing

screen. I feel bad that Katzeye doesn't do one for Leica....I wonder how good the Leica's viewfinder is for

manual focussing? If is it small and dim, I probably will have to choose the L-1.

Cheers

Duc

I have a Digilux 3 on back order, they are in very short supply in the US due to the $699 Leica loyalty discount. I plan to use a 4/3rds adapter for my Leica R lenses. To aid manual focus the new 2.0 firmware activates the focus confirmation LED for non-coupled adapted lenses. The center weighted metering mode appears best to use with our legacy glass.

The Panasonic has a very short warranty: 1 year parts and only 90 days labor. Leica gives you 3 years parts and labor and 6 months of passport coverage. The Leica has superior JPEG performance also.

The Digilux 3 and L1 are identical in all respects except for the red dot and the in-camera

JPEG rendering engine (firmware).

I use adapted Nikon and Pentax lenses on the L1 all the time, even with the standard

focusing screen. For anything longer than a 50mm lens, it works great. For lenses shorter

than that, the 4/3 system lenses work better. Either works well with the Live View mode

and MF Focus assist.

These cameras, and the standard 14-50/2.8-3.5 lens, are FAR better performers than the

review press would have you believe.

Godfrey

To be honest, I have some of the finest M42 lens by Voigtlander and Carl Zeiss and a bit

dissapointed with the "kit lens"

If it was at constant 2.8 then surely the deal would be extremely attractive. Does Panasonic

plan to release the new L2 any time soon?

I find it annoying that 4/3 adaptors for m42 lens don't have secondary flange to push the

aperture pin down. I can only shoot wide open which is very impractical.

I received by "upgrade" Digilux3 for my fried Digilux2. I like the Digilux3 MUCH more than the D2. Overall image quality is better in my opinion. I purchased the R adapter from Leica (yikes!! it cost 1/4 the price of the camera..oh well...) The viewfinder is not dim in my experience, but it is not a Leicaflex SL. Camera handles better, can shoot RAW at a reasonable rate of speed, has better ergonomics and has a better backside layout (more hard buttons for frequently adjusted parameters)

all in all, i'm liking this camera so far, and thinking of it less as a "bridge" to another camera, but rather as a destination.

it is a DSLR. it works like a DSLR, and the neat part is i can use my R lenses, and the kit leica zoom, and i can throw the body away when a better one from anyone (4/3's) comes along.

Hello Cao,

I'm fortunate enough to have a Digilux 3. I'm fortunate to have a set of R lenses (I have a R7 too...)

Out of info, the NOVOFLEX adaptor is really a gem and worth the Leica one (whic is already a collector item, rarity...). Cheaper....

A very interesting item this Katzeye.

However, the upgrade of the firmware of the Digilux 3 to v2.0 offers a focus confirmation which, in my "eye" is enough, no need to have this gizmo.

And of course, the focus confirmation will work with the M42 lens through the viewfinder. But in live view, the focus confirmation is not active: instead you can zoom a part of the image and do a fine focusing.

Whate ever is your method, it will work as a charm.

Myself I prefer the Tamron SP lens and I have a combo zoom 70-210 + 2X wich extend to a mighty 840mm (given the ratio of the 4/3).

Well, SP, is superlative at full aperture...<div>00MA4g-37846584.thumb.jpg.adb3893745080ececb6b5d2817b02515.jpg</div>