How to Protect LCD Monitor on Body?

omar_gabriel

Hoodman and Delkin make nice folding covers for the LCD. They slip on by replacing the rubber viewfinder cover.

This kind of cover is very convenient on the 20D and 30D,which have a separate info screen on top. It is slightly less convenient on the XTi. Still, I'm not a big fan of chimping every shot as I go, nor do I like having a large glowing screen lighting me up in dusk or dark, so it works for me, even on the XTi. They also make it much easier to see the screen in bright light since they form a shade when up. just like the folding viewers on old view cameras and Graphics.

The 10D I bought from a pawn shop a few weeks ago has been well used, with scratches and scrapes over the body, but not a mark on the LCD screen. I don't think a protector is necessary - it's not like one of those screens that you run a stylus over, so it's unlikely to get scratched anyway.

I scrapped the hell outta 10D LCD cover the first month I owned it (western shirt buttons!). I called Canon parts and they sold me a new LCD cover. It's only held on with double stick tape. Kinda frightening to remove. I pulled it off with a suction cup, stuck on the replacement and it was good as new. After that, I cut a non-reflecting PDA protector to fit. Actually made it easier to see and easy to replace when I scrape it.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I think the best LCD protector in the market is a multi-coated glass LCD protector made by Giotto. Basically a 0.5mm thin Schott German glass with 12 layers of anti-reflective coatings (6 coats on each side). It uses 3M tape (virtually transparent) and the screen is removable and replaceable if it gets scratched or damaged. I use them for 1Ds, 1D and G7 and they are awesome. It's Hoya S-HMC or B+W MRC equivalent in terms of transparency and clearity. B&H photo has them and you may want to check them out.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

If you would read the Aegis removal instructions, you'd know that they say to use a hair dryer to heat and weaken the adhesive slowly until you can get the screen off.

I'd be interested to hear what has to be done to the screen to crack it. Just because the camera has what should be a stronger screen cover, it doesn't mean you can just toss it around recklessly.