processing in chicago

michael_oxford

wondering where photog's in the north-west chicago suburbs go to get your LF

film processed. I'm looking into a getting Speed Graphic, but it would be VERY

foolish to buy if i cant have the film processed.

btw, i used to go to Solaris in Schamburg, but i think they closed.. am i

wrong??

For B&W work get a Paterson orbital processor, a changing bag and some chemicals. You can do it yourself without a light-tight room. Very easy to do in the bathroom. Also, consider a Polaroid 405 or 545 film back and using Polaroid pack or sheet films when you start to get instant feedback on your technique, etc.

That is the path I took and it has worked out well.

For color a mechanical processor like a Jobo CPP or ATL processor is really necessary to do it yourself. That is a significant up front investment. The temperature sensitivity and timing of color developing is pretty key. Sending it out can be pretty pricy per sheet, especially as you work up the learning curve.

see if Photochrome is still in business; I think they used to do up to 4x5. Photochrome Prints. 636 Busse Hwy, Park Ridge, Illinois 60068 (847)698-3432.

Otherwise, Gamma's web page is http://www.gammaphoto.com/ (they charge $3.25 per sheet for b&w 4x5). They used to pick up and deliver all over, but you'll have to call to see what current setup is. Highly recommended for large-format processing.

I develop my own b/w in a Besler tank with a roller base.

For color negative film (C41), I use Gamma Photo(www.gammaphoto.com), and I am happy with the results. Recently, they've been able to return my C41 negatives in 4 hours or less. But I live in downtown Evanston and I can get there easily on the El. If you go by car, parking is very limited. They do pick up and deliver, but the price would be very high for the suburbs. You would do better shipping by FedEx which is not very expensive, but they charge more ($12, I think) for shipping back.

There is also Precision Imaging and Photo (www.precisionimagechicago.com) which is on Grand Avenue. I believe they formed from a merger with the old Imperial Photo, which I've used in the past and was happy with. I haven't used them recently, but I called and asked about parking and they told me it was usually possible on the street. Their prices seem lower than Gamma's.

Helix Photo's webside (www.helixphoto.com) claims they still do 4 x 5, but I'm pretty sure they no longer do C41. They may still do 4x5, but I don't know if they still do it in-house or if they ship it out. There would be little point in using them if they don't do it locally. They have adequate parking and are not far from the Kennedy. They also have several satelite locations in the suburbs where you can drop film off for processing and then pick it up several days later. Call them to see what if anything they now do with 4 x 5 film. But i must say that in the past I didn't like them too much because they encroached too much of the image with the film clips.

thanks guys!

I live in the Barrington\Lake Zurich area, so those places are kinda far.

however, i did find a lab.. "LightBox" in Gilberts(??) the look like a excellent lab, but that is a 40min drive... roughly the same as going into the city.

but you did say that Gamma does mail order. interesting.

and i'm going back to school in a month, so i'll be able to do black and white.