i have a funny name.

rosepink

My husband and I are avid amateur photographers and are interested in starting a

wedding and portrait photography business (on the side to start and full-time if

we ever achieve some success). This is only the beginning and I am in the

process of bolstering my portfolio and working out all the kinks. I have been

lurking here for a while and have read in great detail all the advice to

newcomers. This business won't be ready for at least another year and a half

(experience, equipment, legal issues etc need to be worked out).

My biggest challenge presently is the business name. My own personal name is

funny (Rose Pink, I kid you not), and I think it might be a bit cheesy

associated with a photography studio (ie. Rose Pink studios, Rose Pink

Photography etc). I wanted to get opinions from professionals as to how to go

about naming the business as I get the impression that "cute" names just end up

being corny. Its not cute, its my name! I have a few other ideas that are

quirky and not my name, but how bad is it, really?

Rose, I think your name is only "cute" if your branding is cute. That is, pay attention to your logo (if you have one), your website design, etc. If there's nothing "cute" about your branding, your name won't make people think twice. That's why yahoo and google can do so well--it's not so much about their name as it's about their brand. I'm with Anne--you're pretty darn lucky to have that name! :)

-Jena

I agree - it's a fabulous name, and will only look cute if your marketing is cute. If your marketing is modern and a but cutting edge, it will take away the cute factor, and with the fact that it is your name, become fabulous. Another option would be: Pink Rose Studios.

I agree with all the responses above. I think that Rose Pink is a great name. My personal

preference is for "Rose Pink Photography" over "Rose Pink Studios" because I feel it is

easier to say.

My advice from a graphic design standpoint is to never have a pink rose anywhere. Unless

its done with incredible tact, executed with impeccable design, it will come off as cheesy;

even though it really is your name. What I envision for you is a beautiful business card that

is pale pink in color and made of a high quality, tactile, card stock. If you can find

something that actually resembles the feel of a rose petal (not in thickness but in touch)

and print some very simple and classy text it would be very cool! All the rest of you

collateral should match, if not with the stock used, at least in design.

-Marc

WOW! Thanks for the support and not laughing me out of town ;) I definitely agree with everything you've said and will update when I have a website up and running (it won't be for a while yet). I had originally been toying with the name "Tickled pink studios" but its already taken by a fellow Canadian, so I figured going with my own name was a safe bet. I just wanted to get a reaction since I've been teased about it personally (luckily its my married name and not my maiden name....kids can be cruel ;)

Hey, it could be worse - your last name could end in "butt". I've spent most of my life saying "No, no, rhymes with 'rabbit'" :)

As for "Rose Pink Photography" or the like, I think a rose logo might actually work and serve as almost a mnemonic device if you will - something like a black silhouette of a rose on a "rich" pink backgound. I'd remember that - or at least the graphic, so as long as "photography" is in there somewhat prominently for people to associate the 2.

i would go crazy w/ a concept....you could get really unique...and try not to go for the obvious w/ a (pink rose) something more - something surprizing....the first thing we learn in design school is for example: if you are a photographer DO NOT use a camera for a logo... ;)

Noooo! In the Pink and all those other spinoffs are bad ideas.

Rose initially asked if she thought that her name was too corny. The overwhelming, and

correct, response was that since it is her name she should use it. Only if she made it up

would it sound cheesy. So why are people now suggesting she make something up instead of

using her name?!?!

Mätt Donuts is funny it's not my true name. To the point your business name is extremely important. Just to point out some facts:

The phone book is listed alphabetically. Many websites are listed alphabetically. Many customers go down the list starting from the A's working down to the Z's. Rose puts you at the end of the list, almost all customers will have found someone by the time they reach the R's. I don't recommend Rose for that one reason.

Here's a list of names sorted alphabetically (verify with your phone book) A & A, A 1, A A, A&1, A&A, A1, AA. Name yourself A & A photography and EVERYONE will call you first (just make sure that's not a trademark name, and verify the phone book sorts in that order) call yourself A1 photography and someone calling themselves A & A will beat you out.

Matt - I actually disagree with you. I automatically don't call any company with AA or A1 as a business name because I immediately think it is a low quality comapny that needs to resort to that kind of trickery to get phone calls. Just a perceived thing with me.

I think a unique name is great. Again, look at Google and Yahoo!. But unique, funny and

corny are not the same. Some things are retro, some are now and some are

groundbreaking. Furthermore, its all about what you do with the name. I really do think it

would be a shame to have a real name like Rose Pink and not use it.

Telephone Book?! You cant seriously tell me that a prestigious photographer that is going

to ask for lots of moolah shmoola should be concerned about the order they fall in the

phone book! I refer you to a current photonet thread titled "Advertisement Critique..." by

Todd Laffler which includes a great discussion about current day marketing strategy. Not

once is the phonebook mentioned.