Holland and Belgium - Photo tips/locations?

alexander_illich

Tomorrow at noon (22 hours from now) I will be leaving for Amsterdam Intl, and staying in Amsterdam

and Brussels for 12 days. I have purchased a railpass and will have full accesss to the Netherlands,

Belgium and Luxembourg.

Any suggestions for places to go, photos to take?

I'll be travelling with a Polaroid 195 Land Camera, tripod and 10 packs of Fuji fp100c colour instant film.

Any suggestions would be 'awesome'.

Sincerely,

Alex I.

Do you like urban photography?

The center of Brussels, of course, is nice.

Brugge is pretty and very accessible from the train. At dusk, nice pictures are almost guaranteed.

Gent is also very nice, but a bit harder on foot because it's more spread out.

Namur is also cool - and the view from the Citadel is great. I got a few pictures from there that I really like.

There are memorial cemeteries all over the place. I've taken a few good ones away from them.

I also hope you like urban photography, since Benelux is closely packed and railway stations do tensd to be in towns. I'd strongly second Bruges as early and late in the day as you can manage. Interestingly its more of a short break destination and whilst not quiet it is not overrun in summer,

In Holland, there are good rail and bus links from Amsterdam which will get you to Edam, Marken, Alkmaar, all to the north of the city and all worth a bit of photography. The living museum at Zaanse Schans, just SW of Amsterdam is worth a visit too.

Agreed -- Bruges is very photogenic. There's an odd melancholy atmosphere in this town. (Maybe it's more of a black and white kind of town!)

Rotterdam is fantastic for very modern architecture.

Antwerp has a beautiful cathedral and some appealingly gritty multi-cultural neighborhoods.

Utrecht is pleasant to walk around and has some pretty areas.

Enjoy your trip, hope you have fun serendipitously making your own discoveries (the best part of travelling!)