still can't unscrew my filters from each other.

tehsa_lleighnore

i <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00Lvfy"

target="_new">posted</a> a couple weeks ago about this problem and am ready to

give up. i tried the freezer trick several times at different time intervals:

10, 20, 40. then i stuck my filters in there for an hour and nothing. even

turned the temperature up at highest. when i pulled it out, it was stuck to the

freezer shelf but they still didn't get unstuck. this so called freezer trick

doesn't seem to be working as you say. does more than an hour work? if anyone

can remember a specific time interval at whatever temperature your freezer is at

that would be most helpful.

for now i'm just going to the local camera store and see if they can help me

because time is running out and a big project is coming up soon. if i had the

money to get these wrenches i would but i can't. i'm hoping this store can help me.

Aluminum filter rims stick. You get brass with better brands.

A trace amouont of silicone grease will help if you get them apart.

A freeze won`t work. You need to freeze the male, heat the female. After freezing, some warm water on the female may help. There needs to be a temp differential.

Never screw these tight ever ever.

Try this - put the filters in the 'palm' of your hands (do NOT grip the rims), applying pressure to the palms as equally as possible, twist in opposite directions.

Unless there has been physical damage to the rims this usually works, but it might take a few tries to get the hang of it!

I've lost count of the no of other peoples 'stuck' filters I have unscrewed this way over the years.

Listen to Nick and Rainer.

The freezer doesn't work. Forget the freezer.

I got my filter + step-down ring stuck exactly as you described. I tried the freezer thing. Both items contract at roughly the same ratio.

Put the filters down on a rubber mat. Use fingertips of one hand only against the top one, and unscrew. Apply as LITTLE pressure as possible.

The threads are binding against each other. If you press against the threads by cupping them in your hands they will never come apart.

I felt stupid when I accidently freed mine, which NO AMOUNT OF FORCE could separate as long as I tried holding them in a conventional way.

Lay them down flat on a rubber mat. They will slip apart as if lubed by butter.

Sounds to me that if you've tried everything, including filter wrenches, that you probably have damaged/crossed the threads on the filters, so even if you part them they may well be unusable anyway (it would be much worse if one got jammed on an expensive lens!).

I would question why you have the filters screwed together anyway, unless just to stack for storage - it is not good practice to use more than one filter at a time on a lens IMO.

Try holding the filters loosely in your hands, and try twisting them apart with very little pressure. Note I said very little pressure. Then keep rotating the filters around in your hands and try twisting them apart again with very little pressure. Keep rotating them around so that you're applying the very little pressure to different points on the filters. At some point as you're rotating them around and trying to twist them apart with very little pressure you just might be pleasantly surprised.

In case it's not clear what I mean by rotating them around in your hand, let's say there's a brand name on the side of the filter. The first time you try loosening the filters with very little pressure, have the brand name at "12 o'clock". Then turn them so the name is at 2 o'clock and try again, then turn the name to 4 o'clock and try again, etc. Go "around the clock" a couple of times before you give up.

Like I said, you might just be pleasantly surprised.

A college friend of mine used to opine, "If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer." I'm afraid that may not apply here...

It does sound like you've tried the gamut. I hope the last idea works.