How to mount a single roll of seamless paper?

o._wagner

I want to put up a single roll of seamless paper in my studio. I'm looking on

B&H at all of their different mounting systems and I'm confused. I don't want

to use stands because space is an issue. I want to do a wall mount, but not

motorized, $ is also an issue. I saw Bogen super clamps, U-hooks, and a

crossbar, would that work? I'm not sure how super clamps work. Or do I just

get the crossbar and go to a hardware store and find some sort of brackets?

Any help would be appreciated!

I made 2 simple brackets by drilling a piece of wood which was about 4" square with a large hole. Then I cut it in half across the center of the hole. Each piece was nailed into opposite walls, half hole up. Then I got a 9 or 10 foot very thick wooden dowel, the kind they make to hang clothes in the closet. That was cut to fit in to the brackets. Now I have a setup which will hold a long roll of paper without taking floor space. The best part was not having to go to B&H for it.

Look at this option:

http://www.amvona.com/index.php?page=shop/flypage&view=1&product_id=1502

You just fit the roll of paper between the two end pieces. The company also sells this system on eBay, which you can get at a even cheaper price. You can get the Bogen model as an alternative, and Bogen sells it in parts.

If this is too expensive, Bruce has a good alternative above. Instead of a 9' wooden dowel, I suggest a chrome piece since it won't warp/bend over time. You can get it at your local Home Depot.

If you don't want to use tape, you can get Velcro Sticky Dots from Staples or another store. Then, if you really want to you can take the roll back down and put it back up w/o multiple layers of tape (we have a nothing tacked/taped to the walls policy where I work but they do allow Velcro.. Go figure).

In my basement, I nailed a couple of 2x4s across joists, drilled holes to mount U-bolts into them. Then used copper water pipe or elecrical conduit slipped through the U-bolts. Check Lowel, the video lighting people. They have all sorts of plates and clamps that can attach to doorframes, walls, drop ceilings, etc., that have studs for attaching lights that you could hook a crossbar to.