Vista corrupting my RAW files when I import to Elements for editing.

I bought a new HP computer with Vista installed and I did get the Codec file

for my Canon camera and can view the RAW file thumbnails but when I import

those files to my Elements 5 editing program the images are very color

distorted. No problem with my JPEG files. Has anyone heard of a "fix" yet?

This is not a bug, and there is no corruption of the images.

What happens is, that ACR (Adobe Camera Raw), which is used by Elements 5 to work on the raw files, seems to ignore the settings for whitebalance (and others) that are stored within the raw-file.

Check in the setup of ACR/Elements-5 if you can set ACR to use the whitebalance of the camera as a default startvalue.

Once you adjust whitebalance, you'll find that everything is fine with your rawfiles. It's clear, why jpg's are not affected ... they already have been processed to a stage, where whitebalance has been applied on the data.

Thank you Rainer for the prompt reply and I will certainly look into that as a solution......my puzzle is that with my old computer and Windows I never experienced the problem. I've been hearing "rumors" that Vista is giving photographers fits with their RAW files. When I use "Pictures" in Vista to store my photo files, even JPEG's, and I go to edit in Elements I get the message "can't read the imbedded files" something to that nature anyway. I'm a total imbecile when it comes to computer problems, "Keep It Simple Susan" is my motto.

On your "old" computer was likely an older version of windows ... older in this case also means a more bugfree version of it.

The rumors that I heard of Vista along with raw files were about a special sort of canon raw files that are stored as tif ... and vista really seems to corrupt them under certain circumstances.

I cannot comment on "Pictures" ... but don't expect everything to work smooth as you have been used to with your older computer. Try to reestablish your workflow. Use the same software you used before (if possible).

For the problem mentioned in your first post, I believe its just the setup of ACR causing this.