Minolta SR-2 Question

Hi,

I recently acquired this camera from a yard sale.. it is in nice condition,

although it has a different lens on it, not a ROKKOR. The lens is a REXATAR

AUTOMATIC 135mm. I can focus/compose with the camera only when the shutter is

NOT cocked, when I cock the shutter/film advance, the screen is blackened out,

and only then will the shutter trip! Is this a normal feature of this camera?

It seems odd that after composing the shot, I have to advance the film to shoot

the picture. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong? Thanks for the help.<div>00M2kH-37702584.JPG.92f37e032304e460b85aa6a4bba706e9.JPG</div>

As I understand it, the SR-2 has an instant-return mirror, but it does not have a fully automatic lens diaphragm like more modern SLR's. The diaphragm will stay at its preset setting until the film is advanced. ONce the film is advanced, it opens the lens to full aperture and when you click the shutter, the aperture you've selected is used, just as modern ones do it. The only difference is that it doesn't return to full aperture until you wind again. This means that if you are using a slow lens at a small aperture the view will be dark until you advance the film. Check with the lens off to see that the mirror is returning properly. If it is, then you're probably just seeing the effect of the semi-automatic diaphragm. If the mirror itself is staying up until you advance the film, then there's a malfunction.

Hi,Thanks for the response. The mirror doesn't stay up until I cycle the frame handle, then it brings the mirror to the UP/LOCKED position, which blocks off the view through the viewfinder screen. Only after I press the shutter button, then the shutter fires, and the mirror drops down again so I can see through the viewfinder to compose my next shot. I don't know if it is a malfunction or designed this way, where after you compose the shot, you have cycle the handle to cock and shoot the frame? I'm at a loss, maybe it is a camera malfunction, it is quite old!

Thanks

Ditto, it's a malfunction. The (possible) good news is, it COULD be simply the mirror damping foam turned into a stickly substance and thus holding preventing the mirror from cycling as it should. When the mirrow is down, check whether there is a black strip in its lower part and test with your finger whether the foam is sticky.

I second and third the malfunction statement. I have two fully functional SR2's and the way you describe yours working is not the "Way of the Minolta". Have you tried it with the lens off? I've read that some second party lenses cause problems. Which brand and what problems I do not know. Excellent camera by the way. In my estimation, well worth fixing up.

Thanks for the input.... after manipulating the shutter button for a short spell, it actually started to work properly!! BUT... after about another 5 minutes of working properly.. the shutter button went down, and wouldn't come up.. as if the spring that depresses it malfunctioned! :-(((.. oh well, it probably sat too long.. so now it will have to be disassembled and repaired. Cosmetically it is a winner though! I'll probably put in **ay... as a fixer upper! Thank anyhow for the help.