Polarising Filters - which?

joe_s.2

I'm (more) than a bit confused over the different choices of Polarising filters

which is available. So, this is a more or less a general post to ask which would

be a good but not too expensive polarising filter which I can get for my soon to

arrive 24-70 F2.8L lens. (77mm)

Thanks

"I just took a look at the prices, and I've got to say that they are definitely too expensive for my taste. The CPL alone is like 1/4 the price of the 24-70.

Seriously not cheap."

Quality costs. Why would you want to purchase an expensive camera & an expensive lens and then cut both off at the knees by using a poor-quality filter?

"I've got a Hoya Pro1 UV (digital) filter but I don't really like it cos it seems like it's a dust magnet and it's pretty hard to clean properly. The stuff just sticks."

That simply shows the efficiency of the coatings! The better the antireflection quality of the coating, the more any dust and dirt show up. An uncoated filter can have all kinds on crud on it and you'd never see it because the crud and the glass would reflect the same amount of light.

With a highly efficient AR coating virtually no light at all is reflected, so the slightest reflection from crud (e.g. a fingerprint)really stands out. The same fingerprint on an uncoated filter would be very hard to see.

See http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/tutorials/lens_filter_cleaning.html

I have the Hoya Pro1 DMC 77mm CP and love it. As others have stated before me, the Helipan and B&W come very highly recommended as well. Beyond these three brands, you may be taking a chance. Personally, I could not be more happy with the Hoya Pro1. Take a look...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/391185-REG/Hoya_XD77CRPL_77mm_Circular_Polarizing_Pro.html