Good, bad or just plain ugly?

colin_h1

flickr set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/1colin/sets/72157601061176276/

I had my second engagement shoot today. I have another one tomorrow so I could

use all the help I can get.. I will really try to put any critique to good use.

I hope to show some progress tomorrow.

Please critique me... and feel free to be harsh. I love photography and really

want to progress, so please consider stuff like:

Poses

Processing

Locations

Framing

Composition

Pros:

I had more ideas & better posing than last time

Better weather

Larger variety of locations

Cons:

The couple was heavier

The groom was nice, but darn inexpressive and unromantic.

Not enough shots where they are not looking at camera.

Thanks guys (and gals)!

I really appreciate these....I love that she wore green, one of my favorite colors for subjects to wear! ....Great color & composition, lots of unique angles....

I'm really just a newbie so my critique is probably not as valuable as some others might be...my only feedback...which you already mentioned...the "groom" does not look very relaxed or comfortable....I often try to get my couples to initiate converstations....give them conversation starters..encourage them to share a "secret" with one another...anything that gets them to interact in a "semi-normal" way...despite my presence. I also tell them over & over again to pretend I'm not there....My favorite photos are always ones that show human interaction & relationship....so making your "groom" comfortable is so important....because heaven knows he'll most likely be even more self consious on his wedding day....

Don't know if that was at all helpful...overall, I love your composition, angles, colors, fun photos! I've had a few of those "not-so-comfortable" people in front of the camera....I just do my best continually to make them comfortable....

I'm sure people will get on me for this...but I'm far less concerned with an elbow at a funky angle than I am with a subject that's uncomfortable because they're being contorted or posed in un-natural uncomfortable positions....granted, there are times when it's innevitable...but especially with those few tough ones to crach emotionally & make comfortable....making them at "home" with you is the key to getting those fabulous intimate & candid shots on film....

Anywho...that's my two cents worth! :) Overall I love them! Good luck with your next shoot!

Short question....long answer!

Good, bad or just plain ugly? my short answer: GOOD!

jen:)

Colin, you have some good photos here. I would stick with the open shade photos as you appear not to use fill flash, and the harsh sunlit photos are not flattering.When you photographed the people and tried to make it a environmental photo,the environment seemed to get in the way of the photo ,rather then complement it. I liked the B&W photo, but after seeing how beautiful the blue eyes of the bride were ,it would be shame to knock it down to a B&W.The photo with the side of the building would have been better without the flair, a lens hood, or even your hand would have taken care of that. I do not know if you have a longer focal length lens, but I think that would have helped. Having something out of focus in the photo should be used to direct the viewers eye to the subject, in the photo on the steps and on the corner of the building ,I think it does the opposite by pulling the eye. I think it was good ,but you can make it much better.

When you have a couple who is stiff (even if it's only one of them), I've found that it's good

to find just one or two locations that give you really great light, and shoot the hell out of

those spots. You can get the couple situated and shoot 20 frames, then adjust them a tiny

bit so they're even more relaxed and comfortable and shoot 20 more frames, then do

some more adjusting (of both the couple and yourself) and shoot 20 more frames. You

might only keep 15 of the 60, but because there isn't a lot of moving around, the couple

will likely relax more and get settled.

Also, if you feel you aren't getting the type of relaxed response you're wanting, feel free to

put the camera down and just chat with them for a bit. Humanizing yourself to your

clients really does a lot toward making people breathe easy and be themselves.

One more thing: sitting is a blessing. :) The most relaxed shots you have, IMO, are the

ones where they're sitting. People who feel tense are going to feel more tense and

awkward if they're standing. You have to feel very comfortable with your body to give off

a good standing pose. By having the couple sit, you can work them into more natural

poses that will naturally make their bodies appear more fluid.

I like your processing a lot. The cooler images are my favorites. :)

I also think you did a really nice job with two full-figured people -- you got flattering

angles overall.

The only thing I would say to watch out for is your light, and also try to give a bit more

guidance to people in regards to wardrobe. I don't really ever care what colors or patterns

people are wearing, but I try to steer guys (especially) toward collared shirts, and I

encourage women to wear something a little more open at the neck. Structured clothing

will help give structure to the person's body shape, regardless of their build or size.

Lots of good shots, and lots of good points above. For the real stiff people, sometimes it helps to have them do some kind of action. Have the looser one of them stand still, place the other 15 feet or so away, and ask the stiffer one to run over, put their arms around the loose one, and give them a kiss. Something like that. By getting them moving they loosen up a quite a bit. Usually when they reach the other person, one of them says something and they start to laugh. Start shooting!

I like the variety you have in the shots, but wonder if it is too much. Personally I like less variety in the setting and more variety in their expressions, lens and camera settings, etc. Maybe 4 or 5 different settings in one location tops. You should be able to complete a good engagement shot in 20-30 minutes with practice. Nothing wrong with using the same location for different couples.

Good job!

Thanks very much for the comments!

In the future I will try:

Fill flash!!!!!! I brought it... TOTALLY forgot to use it! Wow, not so bright.

More seated shots.

Wardrobe (too late to do anything about tomorrows shoot tho).

Get them to open up more by:

- Action.

- Conversation.

- Laughter.

Awesome.

I will definitely be using these suggestions tomorrow.

Fill flash is your friend, learn to play with it. Shooting down on a bald guy really exaggerates this issue and not all men are comfortable with this. As I've said in the past posts I like to also seperate them as well. A nice wallet size or even a 5x7 sitting on a desk at work of your loved one can make your day a better one when you are having a bad day at work.

Some of your ideas and pose were pretty cool.

I think you did a great job for a 2nd shoot. Like the colors and you seemed to try out different poses and angles. Trying those diffent things out is how you will come to find your strong points and your style with what works and doesn't.

Lens flare..we love playing with lens flare and usually include a couple of them in every shoot, but of course it's a matter of taste. This is nice, but next time perhaps try shooting a bit closer and at a more extreme angle and see what results. Also using it to silhouette your subjects can be a nice result. Shoot several if you are going for it because there will probably only be a couple that really work.

Yes, unfortunately groom-to-be does appear uncomfortable and 'serious'. Which could just be his personality, but sometimes a few corny comments go along way to loosen up your subjects. I usually make some comments..."okay it's supermodel time" or "how about you guys look at each other and pretend to laugh"...which ALWAYS results in the genuine thing because they feel so silly. Also try to get at least one regular "big smile in the camera" shot. Just be honest and playfully say, "how about showing teeth this time." Keep practicing and things will get more and more comfortable.

Colin, not wanting to go against any of the excellent advice provided maybe there are some alternatives. Your man seems to be a bit of a bloke's bloke why not use that to try and play with it/investigate it.

Have him be the strong, silent steely man and her the one who's loves and adores him, probably a little because he's the strong silent type anyway. Maybe what you could look for with this type of subject is not the big cheesy grin but a softening of his expression as he glances at his partner. Although they are quiet close physically from an emotive point of view quite distant.

Many of your camera positions are from above - good for double chins not so good for receding hair lines and can tend to make the subject appear small, little, inferior. Some of the shots where your man is at the back of the pose makes him look small etc (the wide shot in front of the tree). I think the shots that work best make him look larger, strong and manly (maybe his personality? I don't know but certainly consistent with his expression etc.)

In terms of your posing I think there are some really good poses and you're obviously thinking about their body position, hand placement etc.

Watch the dappled light on the subjects faces fill flash won't eliminate that. Anyhow keep up the good work

Regards Greg