Street zoom lens for 5D

alex_surrey1

Depends on his definition of "walkaround". For some, it means a 17-40, for others it could mean a 24-70 or a 70-200. That said, the cheapest current L series zooms are the 70-200 f4, and the 17-40. The 28-70 you mentioned will be fine, provided you can find one (You'll probably have to find it online).

On a completely unrelated note, how did you get the camera into your profile pic? The <a href="http://www.vexatori.de/zib/spstudio.html">site I used</a> to make mine doesn't have 'em:(

How close to your subjects do you like to get? Do you like to photograph environmental scenes or solitary objects? Sweeping vistas behind your subject or simple backgrounds? There is no answer to the question you asked, the question has to be specific to your shooting style and what you are trying to do. Simply "walking around" calls for any lens you like, maybe even the lightest one since you will be walking rather than shooting, actually trying to do something more than "walking around" calls for some specifics.

The EF 24-105 4L USM is the kit lens for the 5D. It's pretty cheap compared to the cost of the

camera. Personally I'd rather have the IS and extra reach of the kit lens more useful than the

extra stop of the old 28-70 2.8.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Hmmm, I agree with Jacob... buying a fine and capable camera like a 5D and then shopping for a "cheap lens" to use on it is about as totally bass ackward as one could get.

Tell your friend to track down a bargain, third party 18-300mm zoom, shoot a bit with it and then sell me the 5D real cheap when he's disgusted by the image quality that the camera "produces".

Gotta say, this is one of the first times I've ever seen "cheap" used as an adjective for "L-series".

"Hi I have a friend who just bought a canon 5d and want to know what is a good cheap l series lens that is zoom for walking aroud. I tolled him maybe the 28-70mm l but what do you guys think."

I think you should make your friend start his own thread here and take all the flaming, after all there's a limit to friendship :*)

I have a 5D. Use both the 24-105 and 70-200. For...

"walkaround" in the "traditional" sense (whatever that

is), I really like the 24-105 a little better. On the low

end, 70 is a little high to get those wide shots you will probably want. I like the 70-200 on my 20D for those reach-out

shots the extra crop factor provides.

Did I read this correctly?: "what is a good cheap l series lens" That is, a "good cheap L series lens"? Ain't no such thing.

What does he want? cheap or L series?

In any case, either way you need something in the roughly 24 to 28mm short end, 105 to 135mm top end, and IS if you can swing it. It's like the veterinarian-taxodermist--either way you get your dog back.

I think the very first suggestion, the 17-40L, satisfies the requirement for "cheap L series zoom".

Another very practical and compact (and cheap) lens for walk around would be one of Canon's 50mm's. My pref would be the pricier 1.4, it's just better build and bokeh, but the 1.8 is a very sharp contender. The 5D with the 50mm lens is compact, and you have a focal length suitable for many situations. It also looks fairly non-descript, as long as you don't use the glaring red Canon EOS Digital shoulder strap.

I would get a 35mm f1.4 if you want prime for street, or a 24-105 L for street zoom. I know I am not answering the "cheap" lens question, but as pointed out above, really makes no sense to get a 5D and then buy a cheap lens. I'd rather do it the other way around - get a cheap dSLR and go for an excellent lens. Best wishes.