Show It? Questions...

mreul

Is it just me or is it difficult to understand "exactly" what Show It offers?

For being a marketing tool i'm sure finding it somewhat frustrating finding

out exactly what these slide shows do. I guess it is strictly for the web?

I've sifted through previous posts and I guess if you want to hand this over

to a client on a DVD you must pay extra? Where can I find this information on

the Show It site? Can people tell me what they use Show It for and it's

possibilities? Also why would a client want it in DVD form anyway? Can't I

send them the file and they can use it anywhere on the web they want? Who

really would like to watch this on thier TV? Can they send these files w/

their cell phones/IPods? Sorry, but i guess i can't understand the Show It web

site so well...Please Help...I would like something to make some nice slide

shows and give to my Brides. I'm aware of Pro Show Gold but have seen some

Show It clips and they look cool. Thanks for input - meg ;)

Meg, I use webshowit from David Jay every chance I get!! Its an incredible marketing tool that showcases my work quickly and effectively. I do a wedding on SAturday and by wed/thurs the slideshow is being shared by the bride/groom with all their friends. Effective marketing in my book. The technical part is very simple...a folder that has the images you want on a slideshow...hit a few buttons and whola a slideshow that you can put on your webpage...it provides you an "index.html" page along with other files that run the show....its quite simple...matter of fact my 13 yr old, when she was 12 would build the slideshow for me during the dinner/reception and we'd show the clients and their friends a slideshow while still at the reception...I also have pro show gold and now almost 100% of the time use Web Show it....smart investment...if you have more questions please feel free to email me and I can even call you...here's a recent show...sorry there's a lot of images...

http://www.barrydavis.biz/Web_Showit_Albums/Kristin/index.html

can i give the bride and groom a copy of the slideshow so they can upload it where ever on the web or e-mail to freinds? can they use it w/ an i-pod or in otherwords what are the capabilities of show it? these are the things i can't seem to specifically find on the web site about show it???? i have included a slide show recently in a contract of mine and like i said i'm aware of pro-show but would show - it work instead? i just want to know more about it's capabilities in terms of use? (i'm not so worried about figuring out the software as i do web and graphic design) ;) thanks so much!

You have to order the DVD for them. When you create a show in the software program you can select whether or not you want to purchase a DVD copy of it. I email them to all of my clients after the engagement session and wedding and then they can email it around to whoever they want. It's perfect for promotion.

I don't tell my brides that they're even getting it. :) It's a fun thing to do for them after the ceremony before all of their pictures are ready. It's like a tease and the family seem to love it. It gets everyone excited to see the rest of the pictures. If you are selling DVD slideshows I would go with Pro Show.

Meg, you can put the showit onto a DVD, it just has to run from a Browser...so all the files would be on the DVD/CD and all they have to do is click the "index.html file....Like Colleen this is "extra and they anticipate it, cause they have seen my other shows...of other brides...so they are excited when they see theirs...especially before they see the videographers work...but i wont go there!!

I was a little put off that ShowitWeb didn't let me create a "REAL DVD" that could be played on any DVD player. Particularly since giving them the SHOWIT flash based slideshow will also give them access to low-rez versions of the photos.

However, there is a simple solution to convert the flash slideshow to actual video. I use a program called IShowU for the Mac. It basically lets you record anything that is shown on your computer screen as a movie. After you play and record the flash show as a movie you can use it to create a DVD, Ipod video, or anything else that you want too. (there are tons of video capture programs for the PC also (www.techsmith.com)).

I still enable the "Purchase DVD" link in showit. But I think their prices are a bit on the high side.

Meg, thanks for starting this thread. I've also been to the showit website several times and leave confused about how it's used in real life.

If I'm reading the post here correctly then I need to upload a html file to my website in order to allow brides and families to view the show. Well, I guess that leaves me out on this showit software since I just found out my flash web site does not allow the uploading of html files which appear to be what is uploaded.

I know more now but find it curious that it's such a mystery. Darn, would like to find a way to get something to a couple over the internet that's quick and do it in a short period of time. I have proshow producer and I enjoy it ... never a problem but it can take a while to build and the end product is not really friendly to being posted to the internet.

Search continues ... unless showit can be more clear on what it does and how it does it.

I hope I can help clarify some things. I've been using Showit since the first release of

the program and it is amazing what it can do.

The program creates a folder that you need to be able to FTP somewhere on your web

server. You'll have to check with your host to see if this is possible. William, you do not

have to make it be part of your flash site. It just needs to be on your web server.

I have a 'slideshows' folder on my site which is where I upload all of my slideshows to. The program creates a folder (named by you, ie. "bridegroom")of files and I

upload this entire folder to my 'slideshows' folder. So the link to my slideshow would be

mywebsite.com/slideshows/bridegroom/

As for DVDs, they cannot be created in this software. The process was too complicated so

the developers decided to offer the ability for DVDs to be ordered through a service that

they provide. They have a production cost and then you setup a markup price on your

DVDs. When you create the show, you check the option to allow DVDs to be purchased

and a purchase button will be added to the bottom of the show. You setup all of the

purchase options at the website. Then the client clicks on this button

and is brought to a purchase screen where they buy the dvd and it will be shipped directly

to them. After it is shipped, your account will be credited for the markup amount that you

chose and then you can choose to have them send you a check whenever you have a

decent amount in your account.

I hope this helped clarify some things. They definitely need to update the main site to

include all of this info.

That is helpful Jefferson ... I'll cut and paste some of it to my web host to see if this is possible. If so then I'm all in, I enjoy the shows I see by showit software as a promotional tool.

I seem to like creating dvd's on proshow presenter for a more artist flair but those are Not easily accessed via the internet for a customer.

Thank you for taking the time to clarify ... that was helpful.

I find it mildly amusing that a software created to give us a promotional edge does such a poor job of clarifying what the product is and what it does and how to do Workflow to make it work for us.

Thank you.

• 8 months later...

Sorry I'm late to this discussion, but I'm still torn about Show-It. Jefferson, I've seen your posts in several other threads and I'm wondering if David Jay is compensating you in some way for your persistent enthusiasm about the product (free upgrades for life?)...

Kidding. Or...

Okay seriously, there are other products out there. Are they as good? Maybe... maybe not. Are they good enough? Maybe... maybe not. Are they as expensive? Not often. How about Amara? How about Wondershare? Are there others?

ProShow Producer is great for DVD production and not so great for flash via web. However, if you're willing to require that the visitor downloads a widget, they have their own player that will show a very nice slideshow. But some folks don't like to install those widgets without knowing exactly what they're getting.

Anyway... I'm still looking. Not willing to spend a cool grand on Photoshop CS3 (I'm a Paint Shop Pro user and lovin' it) and not willing to spend $200 on ShowIt Web when there may be perfectly decent programs out there for $50.