basic setup for wedding

mike_gustafson

Hello,

I'm looking for some information regarding basic equipment for shooting a

wedding. This has been thrown at me sooner than I would have liked but it

seems like a good opportunity to get my feet wet. I've been shooting with a

local pro as a second shooter for a couple of weddings and will be shooting two

more with him before I need to shoot alone. The pro actually has offered my

services for a wedding because he is booked and he must believe I can do it.

He thought it would be good for me because it is a small wedding, the clients

are willing to use a "new-bee", it is both B&G second marriage, and they don't

want to spend much money. I on the other hand was not planning on shooting

alone for some time because I know I have so much to learn. Anyway, the

equipment that I have now is not the ideal set-up for shooting a wedding. All

I have now is a Canon Digital Rebel XTI with the 18-55 and 75-300. I know that

these are not the best lenses but they will have to be part of it this time.

Info I am looking for.... I am going to purchase one more lense and a flash

before this shoot. I am thinking of the 24-70 2.8L or the 24-105mm f/4L IS.

For a flash I was debating between the 580exII or the 430 ex to save a little

money. I will have an extra camera for a back-up. Eventually I will be

purchasing a 5D but that is going to have to wait for now.

What lense and flash would you suggest. Other suggestions welcome. What else

would be a must have?

Thanks for your input!!

Mike

When you shoot, what do you FEEL you are missing?

You should have some sense of what will improve your work. Do you often wish for a

wider aperture? Do you need a longer lens, or a wider one? What do you wind up

shooting with most: the 18-55 or the 75-300?

Go with what your style demands.

I, personally, hate the 24-70 lens. It's not wide enough OR long enough. Other people

love that lens. It's all in what works for the way you shoot.

As for the flash... god, I really hate Canon flashes. They're incredibly overpriced and really

not very powerful when it comes down to it. Bleah. From my point of view, I would go

with the 430 just to save some money, because I would aim to move away from on-camera

lighting as much as possible over the next weeks and months.

Juse my 2 cents! :)

As for doing your first few solo weddings. My advice is to keep it simple. Only take what you can carry. Two bodies, three lens, accessories etc...

I chose to build everything around the 35mm f/1.4 prime and have no regrets.

It can handle just about everything whether available light or flash. Getting ready, aisle shots, formals, candid group shots, reception shots...

Depending upon your style, the 35mm or a zoom (what I used when I shot Nikon) coupled with an 85mm f/1.8 to a second body and you are done.

A real concern to me, given my experience with the 85mm f/1.2 is using the Rebel to push big glass (ie 70-200). Even the 5D isn't all that reliable. My 1V does handles them pretty well, but it's still something to keep in mind.

What have you been using for a flash up til now? No one can really give you the answer you are looking for because as you see from the variety of suggestions, everyone's priorities and shooting styles are different. As Anne suggests, a little self examination is needed. If it were me, I'd get the 50mm f1.4 and the 580EX for now. The reason for the 50mm is because it can get you by in low light situations--especially useful for church ceremonies with no flash, and for portraits of the couple. In the meantime, I'd shoot some weddings with your current gear (get a tripod and learn how to use it) and figure out your personal style and combined with a plan, figure out what would work best for you. A 24-70 or 24-105mm on a crop camera would not be wide enough for most wedding work, and without low light lenses, the f4 aperture on the 24-105mm would be limiting in some situations.

If you're going to keep and use the XT for a while, I'd actually get either the Canon 17-55m f2.8 IS or Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 plus maybe the 50mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.8 and use the heck out of this kit. Then when you get a 5D (or whatever comes after it), you can sell it or keep it as back-up or second body.

Hi Mike, Buying a lens that is more in line with your current kit's focal range seems logical. I purchased a tamron 17-50mm f2.8 prior to the purchase of my 17-55mm f2.8 IS lens. When using the tamron I found I didn't take it off the camera (still used primes and a wide zoom on the other though). The Tamron is not an L quality lens in terms of the build or sharpness however some acceptable results can be obtained.

For example here is a shot taken with a 400D (my other 30D was sent off for the second time to have the PC socket repaired but that's another story!). It was shot at 2.8 @ 200 ISO with fill flash (580 EX) and I think with either a foam better bounce card or a 5X5 plastic fill card I use some times.

http://www.photo.net/photo/6270526

Another shot taken with a 400D no fill was used

http://www.photo.net/photo/5982355

Concerning the flash 580 EX, it can wireless master control other 580s or a 430 but a 430 can't (not sure whether the Metz can?). The button arrangement on the back of the 430 EX is a little fiddly and that's a significant problem IMHO when you are under pressure and you what to change settings etc. The dial on the 580 EX is much better and the 580 EX has the built in bounce card (I never use it)

The 50mm 1.4 is a great prime to consider as a dedicated portrait lens for your 400D or a normal lens for your future 5D.

I hope this helps, good luck and all the best on your solo gig.

Greg

Thanks everybody!! It is nice to get so much helpful input. Maybe a little confusing, but still helpful. I think one of the main things that I am learning is there is no real answer. Everybody is going to have their own equipment that will work well for their style. I also think that starting out the glass you purchase might help to create your style. I guess that is why I want to do it right. Thanks again for your help.

Mike

I do agree that your glass can help influence your style -- IF you're shooting with primes.

When you shoot zooms as a newer photographer, I think it makes you lazy. When I switched

from film to digital I got a couple of zoom lenses. Within a year I had switched back to all

primes. My work is significantly stronger when I have to plan for the image, consider the

shot I want before choosing my lens, and physically move myself into position to get the

frame I'm looking for. I highly recommend primes.

>>> When you shoot zooms as a newer photographer, I think it makes you lazy. <<< (AA)

I agree: When there are / were only primes, one could not be `lazy`: ask those who still use 645, 6x6 and 6x7, for example.

In regards to the question posted, I think that a flash is missing and I would get a 580EX, but that is because I have bought those already, and they suit me.

Self examination as to what is lacking, for YOU and what OUTCOMES you want: yes! that is a good idea.

But, as a general comment you are lacking (equipment wise): speed.

That might not be of any concern to you: but if you are looking for a starting point to consider what you are lacking, start with speed, I think: to that end if you are looking at a zoom then F2.8, but a prime or two will be less expensive.

WW

I'll chip in here as well. I agree, a prime lens will help discipline you. I have the Canon 50 f/1.8, the "thrifty fifty" as I've sometimes heard it called. It has served me really well so far, and at $80 is a darn sight cheaper than the 50 f/1.4 :) I'd also consider renting a fast, wider lens for the day, see if it suits your style, then consider purchasing one. You'll probably want to have at least 17mm for big group shots. I have the 17-40L which is admittedly slow (f/4), but then again, with practice you can hand-hold it at lower shutter speeds, or up your ISO to compensate.

<p>On the topic of flash, I plan to splash out on a 580EX myself. So far I've seen no convincing reason not to.

<p>Best regards,

<br>Mark

• 2 weeks later...