polaroid cleanup/minor repairs?

I have a few Polaroid cameras that need some cleanup (and possibly some minor

repairs) and I'm looking for a good resource to help me through the process,

so's not to destroy them. I've got a couple of land cameras (104, 360) and my

father's beautiful old sx-70. I'm even interested in replacing the leatherette

on the sx-70, because the original is rather scuffed up, but I have no idea

where to get it (aside from some place in Japan...) Anyone know of any resources

for me? Thanks!

Follow general camera cleaning procedures which you can find almost anywhere online with a Google search. Be aware that the 104 and 360 will require new batteries. There are resources online to order new replacement batteries once you pull the old ones out, just do a search on the numbers on the battery. After that, both of these cameras should be shooters. Google may lead you to repair information on specific problems, but as far as I know, there is no database of repair information on Polaroids. The 104 and 360 are part of the same family of Folding Pack-film cameras and repair information you find for other models in that family might help you. I recommend if you do find repair resources, save them to your harddrive, or print hard copy for future reference, in case they dissappear off the internet.

Polaroid discontinued SX-70 film, although a european branch of Polaroid makes a rather expensive modern version of it. The camera can be modified to take Type 600 film, but you may be more interested in keeping it original. While the SX-70 is a beautiful camera, you will find that the others are probably more practical as Polaroid still fully supports that format, with a pleasantly wide range of films available from Polaroid and a few from Fugi.

The 360 is actually a very nice camera featuring metal construction, a real glass lens, a Zeiss viewfinder, and a dedicated electric flash. Its probably your best bet for a nice user camera.

thanks, i actually have the battery situation down - lots of tape and sweat and bubblegum. I don't really want to modify my sx-70, it was a family camera when i was a kid and i'd feel dirty tearing it up. i might check out the blend film, eh. i've been shooting with the 104 for quite a while and love it, just got the 360 today and it needs a bit of work, but it came with box, manual, flash, charger, etc, and in pretty good condition. can't wait to use it. thanks for the advice and the sites!

Hey awesome you got the flash with the 360! Its a special flash so otherwise you wouldnt be able to use it. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the quality of the images the 360 is capable of. The Polaroid cameras with glass lenses are really very nice despite Polaroid's reputation built around plastic lenses!

SX-70: Aki Asahi is good and you can also get pre-cut self-sdhesive SX-70 kits from www.cameraleather.com. They are not listed on the site but I contacted the owner, Morgan Sparks, and he said he can make the kits in many different and exotic leather types including some that match the original. Not expensive.

You need a 4X ND filter over the lens to use it with 600 film. I found one made for a Nikon Coolpix in the correct size. You also need to snip off the two central fins on the 600 film cartridge so it will slide in the SX-70 without getting caught.

You can also modify your SX-70 in a reversable way to take 600 film. Open the camera, retract the lens to infinity, remove the front cover (with exposure dial, lens, and electronic eye holes in it) by popping the left and right sides and gently tugging it off. The electronic eye hole has a 1 stop ND filter in it. This can be easily popped out and saved. I taped mine to the back of the camera so it doesn't get lost. Replace the cover and turn the exposure dial 1 stop towards darken. That's it! When you insert the 600 film you'll need to slide a piece of cardboard under the film cartridge to get it past a stop spring. Or, you can rip out the spring with wire cutters or pliers.

You'll only have a problem if you use flashbars since that type of exposure doesn't use the electronic eye in exactly the same way. By turning the L/D control all the way to darken the best you can do is get flash pictures that are about 1/2 stop overexposed.

There is an individual you can find on ebay who will modify the SX-70 electronics to use 600 film without all this trouble. You can find him on ebay or the Polaroid Flickr group.