Why not more posts in Esthetics & Philosophy category?

richard_johnson4

There is so much one visualizes prior to doing a artistic shot that it amazes

me this forum has not had a post in 6 months. Granit photo.net has its nitch

enthusiast but I view it almost daily and have it as my home page. Like most

I am not employed with photography meaning it?s more of my passion. There are

days I just sit with a glass of wine and visualize what I want to shoot and

finally I get off my ass and orchestrate what I visualize.

To me analog is my passion even thought I own digital I would never think to

produce what I consider my art on digital. The philosophy lies in ones passion

for photography. I have been asked many times why don?t I go professional.

I always smile at that question since it is an easy one for me. If I do it

professionally then it is work. If it is work then I loose my passion for it.

It?s an age thing that I have acquired. Don?t get me wrong I love my job and

have a passion for it. But over the years work is work. Photography is my

passion.

Maybe I just had one to many glasses of fine wine.

Regards

You know I agree with you. Some years ago I switched vocations and became a pro photographer. Great at first, but as the years wore on I lost interest in photography. It was the job. Fussy and obnoxious customers and 7days a week of work. I ended up retiring early, selling all the cameras, and painted for 6 years before deciding to get a camera.

Yeah it's the same in every continent! :-) I remember when I was working as a photojournalist loose completely the passion. Late nights, early mornings and so on didn't leave me any time just to walk around with my camera and be alone.

As Bruce I paint too and nowadays that is my way to earn the living and when I got fed up sitting and slavering with the canvas than I'm out with one of my cameras. Don't misunderstand me I love to paint but from one dream to the finished painting which I don't like, very lonely work as not even closest friends will come by because they don?t want to disturb. :-)

I put up one of my work here for you guys to see what I do with the brash. Please don't stone me! :-) I call this one for "thinking"

Richard, I can only say your not correct to say no-one posts visualized concepts on this forum, for sometimes when browsing a post or reading a first response or two you don't want to waste time and move on...we all do that. But don't let boredom of the same old thing finalize your conclusion that no-one posts artistic concepts (visualizations) of what they want to shoot. Though it sounds wrong in the initial description, and may be from a novice in this format when a post is picked apart it could be worthwhile following the conclusion and see if in fact it is a created visualization has merit in the technical application. I wanted to respond this way so others new to this forum won't believe there is nothing to learn from this forum.

Frank, Just wanted to say how much your painting reminds me of a photograph in terms of composition and light. I like it (not because it reminds me of a photograph, but in and of itself--subject, composition, light). Bill W.

Larry, don?t get me wrong I think that the forums of this site are the best on the internet in regards of technical information. It simply amazes me each time I ask a question how fast and in depth the responses are. My comment was on not many people have added post to the specific forum of Large Format/Esthetics and Philosophy. Great work Fred you are multitalented.

"If I do it professionally then it is work. If it is work then I loose my passion for it."

I do it professionally that that does "loose" my passion for it. It does not 'LOSE' it though. I shoot for pay and then come back and shoot for fun and then go on vacation and shoot for a hobby & relaxation & enjoyment. There is no reason at all that ones profession has to be something they don't want to do in their spare time as well.

Go and shoot two HS ballgames and then on the way back set up the 8x10 on an abandoned farmhouse. Spend half the night developing the 8x10 stuff and then in the morning editing the digital take to send to the newspaper editor and to put up on the website for the school/kids/parents to purchase. Then set a portrait shoot with a family reunion who will have 135 people there and plan on how to do it.

No reason in the world to get a 'real job' when you can have so much fun with the cameras and have a hobby/avocation as your method of making a living.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the reason why there are not more posts to 'Ethics and Philosophy' is that every honest attempt to introduce an interesting topic for discussion results in the eventual degeneration into fruitless philosophic questions of 'what is art', or 'what is reality' which no one seems to agree upon, since few folks (myself included) have a fine arts or liberal arts education sufficient to answer with any kind of rigorous thought. Plus there seems to be a small contingent of argumentative folk quick to jump upon the new postee with little humour or kindness.

It's better to discuss such topics in person, face-to-face, where you can look the person in the eye and buy them another round or two.

~Joe