D200 BGLOD?

torriani

Is anyone aware of the blinking green light of death (BGLOD) affecting the D200?

I have seen several posts of this happening on the D70. My D200's CF access

light keeps blinking periodically, which occurs immediately after the meter

goes off, bringing it up again and again (ie, the meter never goes on standby).

Also, the self-timer is not working. If I press and hold the shutter button it

acts like if it were self-timing (holding the shutter down makes the AF light

blink and eventually expose within the self-timer program, say 5 sec).

Any input would be highly appreciated.

Thanks, Martin

On the D200, it is normal for the green light on the back of the body to blink after a

variety of functions. That is not an indication of "BGLOD".

In regards to the self-timer: I may not quite understand what you're saying in your post,

but it sounds as though your self-timer does work judging by your description.

To activate the timer, you have to choose it as a function, then press and activate the

shutter completely. That will put the process in motion with blinking light, timer, etc., and

eventually trip the shutter for the capture. You can adjust the length of time allowed for

the self-timer to shoot. There are several options for that.

The provided description is not very clear, but it seems to me that Martin's self timer is working correctly.

You set the self timer on the D200 on the top, left side dial where you choose S (single), CL and CH. Rotate that to the self-timer setting and press the shutter release. The front AF-assist light will blink and after a few seconds, the shutter will trip as BW Combs describes. After the image is captured, the rear green light will blink when the D200 writes the file onto the CF card, but that is the normal process after each image is shot, with or without using the self timer.

If a DSLR is malfunctioning with the so called BGLOD problem, you should not be able to shoot any image at all.

I am unaware of widespread problems with the D200, particularly any manifesting themselves with "BGLOD". I agree with Dave that you should contact Nikon and send your camera in for repair; the meter should turn off (if you don't have it set to "No Limit") and there's no reason for the CF card light to start blinking after the meter has turned off.

Thanks for your responses. I have figured out a few more details on this issue that may help to make it more specific.

[1] All problems occur only in CL, CH, and self-timer modes. The camera works perfectly in S mode.

[2] When on CL or CH modes, the shutter speed and aperture info on the top LCD screen never go on standby . They keep being "refreshed" every X seconds, which happens in tandem with a blink of the CF card green light. However, the camera works and takes pictures normally in CL and CH modes.

[3] When in self-timer mode, once the speed and aperture info go on standby (ie, disappear from LCD), all buttons of the camera become disabled. Pressing the shutter button, playback, Menu, etc, results in nothing. Interestingly, if I slide the power button so as to turn on the LCD backlight, the camera (and buttons) come to life.

[4] When on self-timer -- before the shutter speed and aperture info go on standby -- pressing the shutter does not initiate the countdown sequence. However, if I press the shutter and hold, the countdown occurs as it should.

Just writing the above makes it clear that my D200 will have to pay a visit to Nikon. However, if you have any insight please let me know.

Thanks, Martin

Martin, clearly your D200 is not functioning correctly, but before you send it back to Nikon for repair, I too would suggest replacing (1) the CF card as Michael points out and (2) the EN-EL3e battery. I would test the camera with another fully charged EN-EL3e, as some of those symptoms could be the result of a weak battery. If those problems persist, it would be time to ship the D200 back to Nikon.