Old camera, C. P. Goerz Dogmar

david_khoury

Hello

I?m new member here , I like to know How can I find information about C.P.

GOERZ / COMPUR ? Dogmar camera

I have find a beautiful camera C.P Gores ?compur ? Dogmar 1:6.3 and I want to

buy it , but I need some info about this camera and if possible about price and

I like to know how to find repairing

look photo : www.turass.com/compur/compur.html

thank you for your help

David

From the photos, the C. P. Goerz is the maker of the lens, which is a Dogmar type. It says "C. P. Goerz Berlin" so we know that it is the German Goerz. The shutter is made by Compur. Both of these makers are well known, and you can find out about them on the web. The camera could be made by a third company; is there an additional label on the camera itself? Is the frame with the words "C. P. Goerz" below the lens part of the camera?

Re your question for repairing, it would help if you told us what needs to be repaired.

I had one of these shutters. It was made in the 1920's and had a Skopar lens in it. My shutter wasn't much good. Perhaps it could have been professionally repaired. I dumped it. This is the only Compur shutter that did not treat me good, and I've little faith in this particular compur.

Hi David,

the camera is a "custom made" mixture: tripod is from an old portait-studio-camera, main body perhaps, too, the metal parts bearing the lens and shutter is a folding (guess 9x12cm) plate type. Obviously that camera was used for portraits, perhaps on the streets.

The shutter is common and mostly reliable or can be replaced. The Dogmar-lens is a four-element Dialyt-type with quite good reputation but uncoated and will tend to flare. F6.3 wasn't the fastest version of it. I had a big Dogmar once and wasn't overwhelmed so I sold it. Nice to have and use old LF-gear but I wouldn't buy such a camera except collecting "custom made" specialities.

kind regards

Thomas

It's beautiful. It'd be impossible to name a price.

Do you want it, do you have space to display it, and can you afford it?

If you want to make it work you need to visit some camera repair shops. If you talk to a few you may find an old man who will fix the shutter (may just need cleaning and adjusting) and clean the lens. Mechanically it's probably quite simple.

If it were mine I would avoid refinishing...I'd just clean it very carefully, perhaps applying light wax to the wood. I'd make sure to protect those photos on the side.

Dear all,

Thank you for your participation.

It was a good adventure, guess what? I bought it .. yessssssss

It?s beautiful pieces, now I must learn how this function, I?m beginner ?

I think the shutter work and the lens in good condition.

How to make test and how to put paper inside?

It seems that the antiquarian from where I have bought it can find another one, if somebody interested?

Thanks? for everyone

David