Rain Rain Rain ????

rocelyn_aala

Try to not get your equipment too wet.... All this electronic stuff takes not kindly to water!

Someone I used to work for did a stunning shot with the B&G and umbrellas.. and the entire birdal party with umbrellas on a paved area in front of a lawn with trees behind.

You can shoot indoors and if you up the SS (but not above the synch) and shoot at F8 with flash you can lose the back ground. Shoot tight too and lose the back ground.

Besides the cute umbrella ideas and playing up the rain as a creative element, do your best indoor work. Besides that, look for covered areas that are open on one side so you can see the outside background, and use a longer lens. Be alert for breaks in the rain and if the bride is willing, run out there and work fast.

I have had to refuse to shoot outdoors in the rain for at least three weddings. On one the JOP and I moved the wedding into an Inn and it went off fine. I brought the B&G back on a sunny day and photographed next to the ocean. We moved another to a large Gazebo, and shot the third inside another Inn. I ruined a Canon A2 in the rain. I would not jeopordize your equipment by getting it wet.

Shooting the wedding in the rain is a fairly risky business. Is this indoor wedding or outdoor wedding? If you have to shoot outside, you can either damage your own equipment or there is more chance that B&G may not be pleased with their wet-hair look. If you have a water-resistant equipment, say Canon 1Ds or 1D series with weather sealed lenses or rain suit for your SLR, you risk of damaging your equipment in the rain is reduced. However, you should still need a flash to create catch lights in B&G. Try to shoot everything indoor if possible. If you really need to shoot outside, make sure you have few dedicated large umbrella holders for you and B&G. Also have your assistant carry a couple of synthetic chamois to wipe your equipment constantly. Synthetic chamois can be purchased from the auto part stores or Walmart's auto-section for mere 10 bucks. Good luck!

My second wedding as a second shooter, we huddled around each other in a tent as a torrential serious T-storm passed. My brand new D200 survived.

Best thing I can do outside of common sense is break out the 1V.

Might be something you need to consider in your contract. I'm assuming my Hill + Usher policy covers weather. Something I will need to investigate.

Consider your safety first. Steady rain doesn't concern me as much as full blown impending thunderstorms.

Lightning can travel miles ahead of thunderstorms. Sitting next to a tripod, with a neck load of gear would not be an option to me.

I've been fortunate to dodge three serious storms.

Of the three weddings I had to move indoors two of the clients were pressing me to shoot outside because they had long term dreams of being married by the seaside. Believe me it was really raining. They at least wanted to go outside for some pictures. My investment in equipment was much greater than I was getting for the weddings.