20D Lens focus issue, vertical v. horizontal

mark_sam

I may get embarrassed with this question,Why does my camera not want to focus

sharply many times when holding it regular? (landscape) When I hold it

vertical (portrait)it focuses instantly but not the other way...is this a

setting in my 20D?

Please state more information.

What settings were you on? What shooting mode were you using? (auto, sports, Av, Tv, M ... etc).

Are you selecting your own focus point?

Is the selected focus point pointed at the same object for landscape and portrait orientations?

Is there enough contrast/detail for the object the focus point is pointed to? Is there enough light on that object? Was it bright like out doors or was it a dark room?

If you are using any focus point except the center focus point, then the focus point can only sense detail in one direction. Make sure the contrast detail on the object is in an orientation that crosses the focus point sensor sensor.

Too many things to talk about. We need more information from you to be able to help you.

Ditto the above comment (WL).

If you are to do any detailed analysis you also need to confirm it is happening on the same scene: and when the centre point is at the same spot in that scene.

My guess, without any precise info, is that, you are noticing differing performances due to differing contrast levels of the scenes, but that is just a guess.

WW

Autofocus looks for edges with high contrast, such as the edge of a wall or top of a table. You might pay attention to whether it is having trouble with vertical edges or horizontal edges. Of course when you tip the camera into vertical format the two are reversed from the camera's perspective. Are you using the central focus point? Is it a problem in servo mode, or in one shot mode as well? Does the problem occur mostly with poor lighting, or all the time? Does it happen with more than one lens? More info might help to define whether this is abnormal.

Dave

Sorry, tomorrow I will pay better attention, but it seems that in TV mode, AV, auto, it is a problem. I will have my son stand and look at me, I hold the camera in traditional way and I always try and use the center focus point, anyway, it just doesn't want to focus sharpley. So, without moving, I simply turn my camera sideways (vertical) and it instantly sharpens right up.? Same center point, same scene, don't move my feet an inch! It seems to be a problem at various shutter speeds, iso, aperture, etc. The slightly fuzzy focus is always when I hold it regular, never vertical. Seems not to matter in single v. servo mode, but I will check better tomorrow. Is there some setting in the 20D I'm missing? Thanks for your help.