Insurance for a D200 system

StanleyBeck

I've heard people mention that they have separate insurance for their camera

equipment, not only for theft, but for accidents, such as damage, immersion in

water, etc. I don't think my home owner's policy will cover the amount of

equipment that I have, even though it is probably professional equipment used

for a hobby. D200, flash, lenses, tripod, CF cards, batteries, chargers, etc.)

Do any of you here in the US have such insurance?

Who with?

I'm not an insurance agent, but it is my understanding that homeowner's insurance policies will cover the gear while it is in the home. You can get a rider to cover the gear outside of the home, but if you use it professionally I believe you need a separate policy both inside and outside the home for your gear.

Your Homeowners policy will only cover up to a set amount ,$500-1000 maybe....Best to get an endorsement (rider)on your policy to cover your gear by itself (just like you would for expensive jewelry)...Make sure you have replacement cost contents endorsement as well so that the loss is not subject to depreciation...This would cover loss by theft of your gear while at your residence. Most policies cover a portion of loss if the gear is,lets say in your car, when it gets stolen...Check with your agent & they can advise you as to the specifics of ther coverage & if any other products would meet your needs.

As far as accidental damage coverage, that is normally sold with extended warranty coverage purchased when you buy the camera....I had gotten my oldest son a Nikon 7.2 MP point & shoot camera from from Brandsmart a couple of years ago & he knocked the camera off a ledge & broke it...Took it back to the store, they checked it to make sure it wasn't something simple that was wrong & wound up just replacing the camera at no cost to me...

Scott

Check with your home-owner's agent; it's probably covered as long as you're not a professional. I had a K10d, and 3 lenses stolen (out of my car) and my home-owner's policy covered it after my normal deductible. Good luck...

Check with your homeowner's insurance carrier to make sure of the coverage you have.

My homeowner's policy covers all NON-PROFESSIONAL USE camera equipment up to a value of 10% of my total homeowner's coverage.

Anything above that 10% (my wife will kill me if I ever acquire that much camera equipment) requires an endorsement.

I can't be sure but I believe most homeowner policies provide similar coverage.

Keith

I have a policy for camera and lenses which goes by the value of the equipment. When I started the plan $ 2700.00 equipment value were $40 per year. Just my lokal State Farm guy/girl, nothing via internet or else -the old fashioned way by walking into the insurance shop and asking for coverage for my D200.

State Farm offers a personal articles policy as a rider to my Homeowners Insurance. I provide

them with a list of items and serial numbers and they quote me a price. I adjust every year

depending on equipment and include D200, lenses, Apple laptop, etc. Fully covered - lost,

damaged, or stolen. If I drop it off the Eiffel Tower or in teh Siene, it is coverd. ABout $100 -

150 per year. Check with you agent.

My insurance co does the same thing as does State Farm. I buy a Personal Effects Rider policy to my Homeowners that covers ALL of my photo gear. No deductible, etc. I cannot generate any revenue from the use of the equipment. If I do the policy is null and void. Joe Smith

My wife and I had the same State Farm policy Dennis mentioned (we own 2 D200s plus loads of other assorted lenses, computers, flashes and other gear), but we upgraded to a professional policy when we started our business EVEN though we started out shooting weddings for free. In addition to indemnity against theft or accident, we are covered up to a million dollars in case someone sues us for any reason. Keep that in mind even if you're not a pro and you shoot at an event and there is the remotest possibility someone could construe that you and they have some sort of reciprocal arrangement, or if you shoot at a birthday party and, I don't know, accidentally knock over the little brat's birthday cake or step on Chuck E. Cheese's feet and break his toe. Insurance is not just about protecting your gear.

What a funny thread. Remember insurance is sold by salesmen; they get a commision. What you really need is a lawyer; the insurance policy signed in blood; video taped ; tape recorded; with a witnesses. In a major disaster plan on footing for new/used equipment and fighting for a tiny fraction of your paid in fees. With Katrina many of us lost alot of photo gear that was insured as pro gear and have never received on dime yet. At the claims office they had to set up metal detectors and had farmed in police from illinois so folks didnt lynch the constant lying by the insurance folks. Its a profession thats a numbers game; with a big loss they will stall and bring up exceptions to stall payouts. In the long run its better to self insure as much as possible; at least you wont be fighting for several years for some scraps. In three other State Farm claims only one paid decent; for a vehicle. The other two on buildings paid 1/2 and 1/50th the real damages and paid out the claims 1 year later; the checks lost in the mail for one year. The 4th claim is still being fought; over pro camera gear lost almsot 2 years ago. All the posts above sound too much like a commerical; instead of reality where sometimes insurance is abit dastardly.

Beware the weasel words; exception; the clauses; or where another policy ratchets down the coverage. What matters is the wording deep in the bowels of the policies; the exceptions. What the agent says is totally meaningless; total bull dung unless you have a recording or video .Autos have always been a poor place to keep a camera; some policies limit cover to only 100 to 200 bucks; even if your super duper inland marine pro policy is for your you whole 5 grand worth of gear. If there is a loss are they going to pay replacement costs; or whatever?

Kelly,

Sorry about the experiences you mention. We live in Florida (13 feet above sea level) and

understand the hurricane experiences - our HO insurance has doubled and and the

deductibles quadrupled over the past 5 years.

On cameras, I have had only a minor claim and State Farm paid for it. I slipped on wet

bricks in Denmark, with my F100 and lens landing first. State Farm said file the claim and

send them the receipt for repairs. Sent lens and body to Nikon - body OK but they

replaced lens mount, focus ring, and other lens parts. SF paid in less than a month after

receipt of claim. No questions. I can't complain.

As others have mentioned, there are other issues, especially liability, that you must

consider and business insurance is quite different (think loss of income, temporary

replacement, and depreciated value) than the personal insurance most have discussed

here.

Yes, thanks, I am aware of all of this. I used to be in the insurance business years ago, for a short period of time, and it seems that the weasel words are really at work these days.

I lost all of my stuff in Katrina (lived in Chalmette, St. Bernard Parish). My camera equipment wasn't worth all of that much, and it was basically covered by my flood insurance, which maxed out - got full face value on the policy, although my total losses were greater. Home owner's didn't apply.

My replacement equipment is worth considerably more, and I am looking to cover accidents as well as theft, fire damage, etc. If I go out in a boat and accidently dunk my D200 and 80-400 VR, I certainly can't afford to replace it. Besides, I really want to keep it separate from my home owner's policy.