am i ready

yoibegangsta

hey guys had a quick question for y'all, just to preface yes i know that only i

can answer this question, but i'd like your opinions.

so yea, i'm wondering if i'm ready to shoot weddings by myself. i've assisted

various photographers at prolly around 20 weddings. i currently have a canon

10d w/vertical grip.

canon 28-105mm f3.5-4.5

canon 70-200mm f2.8L

canon 50mm f1.8

canon 580ex

i got a call the other day from someone asking me to shoot their wedding, and

i'm just not sure if i'm ready

also check out my portfolio, the wedding shots on there were from my brother's

wedding, which iw as just shooting for fun, and was my first time testing out

the 580ex

As you said, you're the only one that knows if you're comfortable enough to shoot an entire wedding unassisted. Weddings can be fast paced, and you need to be able to shoot with ease, with the technical knowledge to be able to make camera adjustments on the fly.<p> The images in your folder are nicely done, but some are underexposed, and need some color corrections. Do you shoot raw or jpeg? If you shoot raw, you can adjust your white balance in PS if you need to.<p> Drag the shutter a litle, and your backgrounds won't be so dark. I frequently handhold, with flash, down to 1/15th...just keep a steady hand.<p>Your lenses look good, later you may want to add a faster wide zoom. A backup body is a must! Plenty of CF cards & batteries for your flash, too. Best of luck!<div>00Lx7C-37575584.jpg.16c1a6cef99ca10cd6ef447eea3c83e8.jpg</div>

<b>One more thing...</b><p>...read some of the recent "client is disappointed" posts. I'm not saying you'll end up in that type of situation, but make sure you know what you're getting into, and what 'could' happen.

Beg, borrow or buy some additional equipment. For sure a second camera and flash. You also have nothing wide. The 28mm is like 45mm on a full frame. Canon's 17-55 f/2.8 IS is the best option on the 1.6x crop cameras, but since it is an EF-S lens it won't fit on the 10D. Tamron has the best reputation for a third party 17-50 f/2.8, and it will work on the 10D, but they have had some focus issues on this lens - just not as much as Sigma.

If you are thinking of upgrading to a full frame camera in the near future go for the 24-105 f/4L as a compromise. It's still not wide enough on a crop frame body for my tastes, but you might think otherwise.

Also, I tired of the 10D real fast as the high ISO noise and low light focus were quite inferior to the 20D. But I wouldn't get an upgrade until Canon announces their replacement for the 30D. Even if you don't get one of those, the price of a used 20D or 30D will likely come down by the end of the year. Perhaps rent a backup system when you need it until then.

Awww man, Sorry Tim but you asked and I don't think you're getting really good feedback here. Honestly, I think you need to do quite a bit more work and practice before you take on someone's wedding. All the images were underexposed and off on their white balance. They also lacked composition and focus. I'm sorry to be harsh but you do want to get better, right?

I would definitely recommend shooting in Raw so you can easily adjust exposure and white balance in post process (or learn how to do that in camera, but that's a bit harder when things are moving fast and different shots are happening in different lighting and the same time). Also, study up on composition and how to pose people...and watch your horizon lines (there's a few crooked ones). You had a good idea with the bow in front and the bg in back but it's so underexposed you can't really tell what you're going for.

You definitely need to work on how to shoot in low light situations. It's a hard thing to do!! Try upping your ISO and dragging the shutter a bit (already mentioned). I would also watch your crops. I'm a big fan of cropping close but you have to watch what you cut off. Some have random extra bouquets in the corner, etc...

Alright, enough critiquing. I hope you get something out of this and don't just think I'm bagging on you (you should hear me critique my own work....which needs a lot of improvement too :)

Good luck and keep practicing!!

An inordinate level of confidence is necessary to succeed in this business. :) If you have to

ask... well... I venture that that's your answer. :)

Keep shooting until you're at a point where you *can't* *not* start shooting solo. You won't

have to ask if you're ready.

Good luck!

Tim,

I took a look at some of the work from the people who said you are not ready...whoa...pot calling the kettle and all.

Here's the deal: I thnk you asked the wrong question. Anybody with a camera can shoot a wedding. (hold the flames, please!) The question should be: "I want to shoot this wedding. How can I do it responsibly?"

I have a few ideas:

1. Shoot your first five weddings for free. People are more likely to be be aware of what they are getting into and will be more forgiving of mistakes.

2. MAKE SURE TO HAVE AN IRONCLAD CONTRACT which absolves you of any financial or other obligation in the case they are unhappy with the photos. It should also detail what you are hoping to give them, etc...this is good practice for building your "for-pay" contract. I would start another thread about this and see if people have examples they would be willing to share.

3. Definitely have a second body available as well as several extra batteries, a charger and twice as much memory as you think you need.

4. BE HONEST with the B&G about your experience with weddings, but definitely highlight your enthusiasm and your dedication. It goes a long way. Tell them you are looking to refine your skills and broaden your portfolio. They may end up being disappointed in the end, but you will have warned them and you will have a contract to cover your ass.

5. If you can find another photographer looking to broaden their portfolio, bring them with you and team shoot.

6. Be prepared to fail miserably and have NOTHING turn out.

OR....(drumroll)

Take more time shooting in wedding-like conditions, assist a seasoned professional and/or take some classes wherever you can find them.

You definitely have a lot of work to do, but I don't see any insurmountable obstacles ahead of you. You are starting in a better place than a lot of the "pros" here have ended up, especially the ones who are telling you not to to try.

Your shots are nice and appear planned and well executed for the most part.

I would second (forgive the pun) getting a backup body and a wider FOV.

Other than that, if you know you can deal with the stress/pressure of the day and are totally confident that under those conditions you can produce as well as the limited shots in your wedding gallery, then do it.

Best, D.