5D part fell out

dima_b1

Hi

I'm not an expert in cameras' insides (not even mentioning DSLRs) but I got a

5D. what happened is one time when I took the lense mount cap off and a part

from inside fell out. I assume it broke off when the lense was mounted last

time. the part was located right above the mirror and is plastic. it also

looks like a lense with circle forming from the middle. I did try taking pics

without this part in (since it fell out and cannot be just inserter beck in)

and it looked like the pics came out ok on camera's lcd but i didn't upload

them to PC for a closer look. Does any1 know what that part is called and how

much trouble i am in? should i do anything about it?

Thanks for any info on this.

You can get through life pretty good without a left pinky-finger, but if it fell off one day, would you be asking people for an opinion, or just head to the nearest hospital?

You can be pretty sure that the part that fell out does something useful, if only because Canon wouldn't have added it to the camera otherwise. So get thee to a phone and call Canon technical support, or just take a trip to a Canon repair place. You'll feel a lot better in the end.

It's probably the focusing screen. It's intended to be user-replaceable on the 5d, so is susceptible to falling out if it's not securely clipped in. Search for '5d focusing screen' and you'll find the procedure for replacing it.

<a href="http://jerryk.smugmug.com/gallery/1922775#97291582">HERE</a> is a tutorial on the 5D focus screen. I caution you to not use the camera until you put it back and the holder is secured. You'll note from the photos in this tutorial that the holder is hinged and hangs down above the mirror. If it's hanging loose (and if the screen just fell out I'm certain it is) then the mirror will hit it when it flips up and could be damaged.

I agree. Plus the 5D was targeted as a deluxe camera for doctors, lawyers and yuppie puppies. You should see all the terrible galleries of house cats, puppy dogs and babies many 5D owners shoot. Plus it's easier to hold and operate than a Rebel and most point 'n shoots (my SD700 IS has a much more confusing control interface and miles of buried menus).

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Puppy Face, Your comment about the 5D being a deluxe camera targeted towards doctors, lawyers and yuppie puppies suggests that these people only have the money to buy the 5D but are not talented photographers.

I hired a professional photographer last year for an event. He used a D1 Mk.II and a 5D.

You should check out Howard Schatz's website, www.howardschatz.com. Several years ago, Dr. Schatz left a premier medical practice in San Francisco that he had started (and which still exists) to become a professional photographer. He's justifiably one of the top pros in the country.

Tom,

Yes.

But, most of the people I have seen using 5Ds (over 90%) don't know a lot about anything photography related. They all seem to be yuppy hipsters who are into Man Ray and "also shoot film" but "didn't bring it with them" that night...go figure.

Not that these are the only people who get them, but my point is that it is not a widely-used camera by a ton of people whose livings rely on their cameras. Yes, pros use them, but I am sure that a lot more of its sales are to people who want a "real-looking" camera, but have a good deal of expendable dough.

I am more surprised that the OP didn't notice something was amiss when looking through the viewfinder when taking the test shots.

Keith

"Puppy Face, Your comment about the 5D being a deluxe camera targeted towards doctors, lawyers and yuppie puppies suggests that these people only have the money to buy the 5D but are not talented photographers."

Sheesh, Rob, I was being a smartass. Err, humorous post. El Joker. And I'm not a doctor, lawyer or yuppie puppy and sport a 5D, but know what a FS is. Although there is certainly a lot of truth in the joke. Now that I think of it, only true artists shoot with Rebels.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter